The First Collection
In 1612, the States-General in The Hague decided to establish a provincial collegium in the northern city of Groningen. Two years later, the Academy of Groningen was officially opened. Like every other university, the Academy also needed a library, which was established less than a year later. Some well-learned men tasked themselves with starting a collection of books for the library. Four years later, over two hundred titles were collected, in just over four hundred volumes, which were then donated to the university. The books are recorded in the Librorum academicorum syllabus , the library’s first catalogue.
|Last modified:||30 January 2020 09.33 a.m.|