Electives for Freemovers (without agreement)
Every year we receive e a lot of requests from foreign students applying for an internship or a researchproject in the UMCG. Arranging for this is not easy. We do not offer a fixed program, so for each individual request we will have to contact the department(s) of your preference and they will decide. Further, in some cases places will already be filled up by students from the regular bachelorprogram doing their clinical rotations or by students coming under an agreement.
That is why we cannot give any guarantee that will succeed in arranging the clerkship.
But if you are really interested, it will certainly help if your application meets with our criteria. Please send the documents required to Internship-Application@umcg.nl. We will only consider complete files sent to us before the applicationdeadline, which is at least 6 months before the expected startingdate.
- Letter of motivation, specifically addressed to the department(s) you are interested in and mentioning the exact period
- Proof of sufficient English. Check the requirements below.
- Support- or nominationletter from your faculty, specifically meant for the University of Groningen
- Some departments, like Surgery, demand that you have done a Dutch language course before the start of your clerkship.
Students coming from (Erasmus+) partners cannot apply as freemover.
Candidates whose native language is not English must provide adequate evidence of proficiency in English. We accept the following tests/ documents:
- computer TOEFL: score of at least 237, all sections sufficient (so at least 21 on each section), and a TWE of at least 4.5; or,
- paper TOEFL:score of at least 580, all sections sufficient (so at least 55 on each section), and a TWE of at least 4.5; or,
- internet TOEFL: score of at least 92, all sections sufficient (so at least 21 on each section); or,
- IELTS Academic (British Council’s English Language Test), original only: score of at least 6.5, all sections sufficient (so at least 6.0 on each section); or,
- CPE, Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English; or,
- CAE, Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.
Only those whose native language is English are exempted from evidence of proficiency in English.
Deadline for application is at least 6 months before your planned startingdate.
Incomplete requests or requests sent after the deadline will not be considered.
Information about options for clinical internships.
Not free of obligations
A request for doing a clerkship in our hospital is not free of obligations! It takes a lot of effort to make all the arrangements, so if, for any reason, you want to repeal your request let us know as soon as possible.
Costs of housing and living
Freemovers have to pay those costs by themselves. Monthly costs for living in Groningen amount to 800 Euro’s at the least. More practical information for foreign students can be found on the site of the university.
The University of Groningen does not have a campus with studentaccommodation, so housing has to be arranged invidually. If your are accepted as a student at the UMCG hospital the International Office of the Institute for Medical Education will send you information about the different options.
Mind that in case we have to apply for a visa/residence permit, the costs will be for your own account.
General information about scholarships for foreign students can be found on the site of Nuffic.
|Laatst gewijzigd:||13 maart 2017 09:43|