Getting organized

Health matters


Overview of health services:

If you need a dentist, please contact the information desk at the Department of Dentistry for an appointment.
For medical problems, you can consult a general practitioner or family doctor (in Dutch: huisarts).
General information for prospective international students about health insurance in the Netherlands.
Every hospital provides first-line care in the event of an accident or emergency. However, in the Netherlands it is not usual to go to the hospital (ziekenhuis) for minor symptoms like headaches or stomach aches.
When a GP or specialist gives you a prescription it needs to be filled at a pharmacy (apotheek).
You can consult a physiotherapist at the University Sports Centre (ACLO), situated at the Zernike complex.
If you have psychological problems you may consult the university Psychological Counselling Service.
Staff at institutes of higher education are not automatically insured against any medical expenses abroad. You must arrange this yourself.
The confidant is there to help with complaints of discriminative or aggressive behaviour, sexual harassment and violence.
The public health department (GGD) gives vaccinations and performs tests for diseases.