The Groningen University Fund
The Groningen University Fund (‘GUF’) was founded on March 4 1893 by the professors of the Groningen University. At the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the fund in 1993, Franck R.H. Smit, MSc, recorded the history of the Fund by the publication of a booklet entitled ‘Groninger Universiteitsfonds 1893-1993’.
The aim of the GUF is to promote in the widest sense the study at the Groningen University. As means to achieve this aim the Fund sustains among others the following activities:
- subsidizing study-related travel abroad by advanced students;
- subsidizing elective but curriculum-relative student excursions;
- subsidizing scientific, cultural or sports activities by students within the framework of a student organization;
- subsidizing the organization of international scientific conferences, symposia or workshops by scientists of the Groningen University;
- financially facilitating seminars or lectures by scientists from abroad;
- financially supporting deprived students with the purchase of study textbooks.
- facilitate the establishment of specialized expert chairs (“bijzondere leerstoelen”) at the Groningen University.
|Last modified:||08 February 2016 2.19 p.m.|