Nightlife in Groningen
A lot of tourist Information can easily be retrieved from websites. However, knowledge on a city’s nightlife is typically less visible, and therefore we have included some more specific information about Groningen’s nightlife. Groningen’s nightlife depends largely on its student population. Its cultural scene is vibrant and remarkable for a city of its size. In particular, the Grote Markt, the Vismarkt, the Poelestraat and Peperstraat are crowded at night, especially on Thursdays and Saturdays when some bars do not close until 7.00 AM in the morning. Some nice places:
- De Drie Gezusters/Groote Griet/Hoppe (Grote Markt 37-39), A huge mainstream pub (some say the biggest in Europe) with various rotating bars.
- Mr. Mofongo (Oude Boteringestraat 26). The nr. 1 cocktail bar in town.
- De Pintelier (Kleine Kromme Elleboog 9). A pub where they serve beer and whiskey with capital B and W. Over 100 different beers and over 40 different whiskeys.
- Het Feest (Peperstraat 7). Het Feest means ‘The Party’ in Dutch. No further explanation needed.
- &zo (Poelestraat 53-55). A club where hipsters go.
- Vera (Oosterstraat 44). A club for the international pop underground. This is not mainstream.
- Warhol (Papengang 6). A clubby loungy rock pub inspired by the work of Andy Warhol.
- Hoek (Grote Markt 34). Dutch Fast Food out of the wall.
In case of emergency
The Dutch summer weather is very unpredictable. In the Netherlands, temperatures of 30 °C (86 °F) or higher occur sporadically; most average daytime highs are around 22 °C (72 °F). Very rainy periods are common, especially in spring and summer. Average annual precipitation is about 800 mm. Sunshine hours vary, but are usually below 1600 hours, giving much cloud cover similar to most of the Netherlands. We advise you to bring a (rain) jacket.
|Last modified:||11 March 2019 1.35 p.m.|