prof. dr. M.A. Verkerk
Christian name Margrita Antoinette (Marian)
Work address University Medical Centre Groningen
9700 RB Groningen
Telephone 0031 (0) 50 3617324
Date of Birth March 29, 1957
- 1969- 1975 Atheneum, Christelijk Lyceum, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
- 1975- 1980 Philosophy, University of Utrecht and University of Amsterdam
- 1986-1987 Master of Science teaching Social Studies, University of Amsterdam
- 1980 MA Philosophy, University of Amsterdam
- 1985 PhD Philosophy, University of Utrecht
- 1987 MsC, teaching Social Studies, University of Amsterdam
Present Academic Functions
2001 – present Full Professor Ethics of Care at the University Medical Centre Groningen, the Netherlands
Previous Academic Functions
- 1980-1985: Assistant Professor Ethics at the Department of Philosophy at the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands
- 1985-1988: Lecturer Social Studies, Jan Arentz College, Alkmaar, the Netherlands
- 1988- 2000: Associate Professor Ethics, Department of Philosophy at the Erasmus University Rotterdam
- 1995-2001 Professor in Ethics of Care, (Socrates chair), University of Groningen, the Netherlands.
- 2000 - 2001 Associate Professor Medical Ethics, University Medical Centre Groningen, the Netherlands
- 2001 - 2012 Director of the Expertisecentre Ethics of Care at the University Medical Centre Groningen, the Netherlands
- 2001 – 2012 Head of the division Medical Ethics, Medical Law and Humanities at the Department of Health Sciences, University Medical Centre Groningen, the Netherlands
- 1980 – 1985 Lectures and seminars in the BA and MA Philosophy programs, Department of Philosophy, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands: History of Ethics, Metaethics and Normative Ethics
- 1985-1988 Social Studies at the Jan Arentz College
- 1988 – 2000 Lectures and seminars in the BA and MA Philosophy programs , Department of Philosophy, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Metaethics, History of Ethics, Normative Ethics, Applied Ethics
- 1995 – 2001 Lectures and seminars in the BA and MA programs Religious Studies, University of Groningen, the Netherlands: Humanistic studies, Ethics of care, Bioethics
- 2001 –present Lectures and seminars in the BA and MA programs Medical School, University of Groningen, the Netherlands: Medical ethics, Ethics of Care, Philosophy of Medicine
- 1988 – present Seminars in the PhD program of The Netherlands School for Research in Practical Philosophy: Ethics of care, Health care ethics
- 2001 – present Lectures and presentations on different subjects related to care and ethics for a broader audience in the Netherlands
- 1988 – present Guest lectures at Dutch Universities, as well as in London, Oxford and Leuven and at Michigan State University
Editorial Boards and Related Activities
- 1988 –present Regular reviews of research proposals for the Netherlands’ National Research Council (NWO), the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw), and the Fund for Scientific Research - Flanders (VFO)
- 1988 –present Regular peer reviews for various national and international journals such as Journal of Medical Ethics, Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde en Ethiek, Social Science and Medicine, Health Care, Medicine and Philosopy
(Inter)national Research Grants and Contract Research
- 2000 – 2004 The distribution of responsibilities in chronic care, Grant of The Netherlands' National Research Council (NWO) (150.000 euro)
- 2000 – 2002 Issues on Moral Responsibility, Grant of Heineken (80.000 euro)
- 2000 – 2003 Project Clinical Ethics and Genetics, collaboration with University of Maastricht, Oxford University and University of Groningen, Grant for Internationalisation in Humanities (NWO) (30.000 euro)
- 2004 – 2008 Project Naturalized Bioethics, collaboration with Michigan State University and Arizona State University, and University of Groningen, Grant for Internationalisation in Humanities (NWO) (30.000 euro)
- 2006 – 2008 Ethics, Professionalism and Health Care Organisations, Grant of the Ministry of Health, the Netherlands ( 80.000 euro)
- 2008 – 2009 Ethics, Technology and Pregnant Bodies, Grant of the University of Groningen for Extra Emancipation/Women's Studies Activities (25.000 euro)
- 2009 – 2011 On Good Patienthood, Grant of ZonMW, the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development, 300.000,-
- 2009-2012 Projects on Reflective Professionalism, Grant for Development of Educational Programm Medical Schools, 250.000,-
- 2014-2017 International Network Grant, NWO, 75.000,-
Other indications of Academic Reputation
- 1995 – 1998 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the PhD project on ethics of care and autonomy, Free University of Amsterdam.
- 1997 – 2000 Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Research Project 'Enhancing care for the disabled, Department of Pedagogy and Learning, University of Groningen.
- 1996 – 1998 Member of the scientific advisory board of the research project (NWO) Autonomy in nursing homes,
- 1997 – 2000 Member of the scientific advisory board of the research project ( Biomed) Ethical aspects on deinstitutionalisation in mental health care, Trimbos Institute, Utrecht.
- 1995 – 2006 Coordinator research group on Ethics of care, the Netherlands School for Research in Practical Philosophy
- 2000 – 2005 President of the Dutch Association of Bioethics (NVBE).
- 2001 – 2004 Chair of the Advisory board Research project on Physician-assisted suicide and the role of nurses, Ministry of Health of the Netherlands
- 2003 – 2005 Member of the Accreditation Committee Medical Education of all Dutch Medical Schools (VSNU).
- 2003 – 2016 Member of the Health Council of the Netherlands (GR)
- 2008 – 2012 Member of the Program committee on Ethics and health care of the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw)
- 2012 – 2014 Visiting Professor at PEALS, University Newcastle
- 2012- 2014 Member of the European Advisory Board, BTCure (http://btcure.eu/)
- 2012 – 2014 Member of the European Advisory Board, EU-AIMS (European Autism Interventions – A Multicentre Study for Developing New Medications)
- 2013- 2014 Member of the Accreditation Committee Philosophy of all Flemisch Universities
- 2014 - 2015 Member of the VENI committee Humanities, NWO.
- 2015-2016 Member of the Accrediation Committee Midwifery Academic Bachelor, QANU
- 2019-2020 Member of the VENI committee Humanities, NWO.
- 1986 – 1990 Member of the IRB of the Medical Centre Alkmaar
- 1988 – 1993 Member of the IRB Nursing Homes Heerhugowaard
- 1997 – 1999 President of the Humanistic Movement of the Netherlands
- 1999 – 2010 Member of the Regional euthanasia review committee Zuid-Holland and Zeeland, the Netherlands
- 2000 – 2018 Member of the IRB of the University Medical Centre Groningen
- 1999 – 2004 Member of the Steering Committee Palliative Care of the North Netherlands (COPZ NN), Groningen, The Netherlands.
- 2001 – 2010 Member of the Supervisory Board of Talant, Heerenveen, the Netherlands
- 2002 – 2005 Member of the Advisory Board on ethics of the Council for Public Health and Health Care
- 2004 – 2011 Member of the Expert group of the Centre for Health Impact Assessment of Disasters (CGOR), the Netherlands
- 2004 – 2016 Chair of the Committee on Palliative Sedation of the Royal Medical Association (KNMG)
- 2011- 2012 Member of the Supervisory Board of Trajectum, Zwolle, The Netherlands
- 2013 - 2014 Member of the Advisory Board of the VKGN Guideline on Pre- and Post Test Counseling Array Diagnostics, The Netherlands
- 2014 – present Vice Chair of the Supervisory Board of Zorgpartners Friesland, The Netherlands (Noorderbreedte, MCL and Tjongerschans)
- 2016- present Member of the review committee Late Abortions and Physician-Assisted Suicide of Newborns (https://www.lzalp.nl/de-beoordelingscommissie)
- 2017- present Member of the Advisory Board of the Stichting Levenseindekliniek
- 2017-present Program leader Patient Engagement at the UMCG
- 2018- 01-2019 Member of the Supervisory Board CCE, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- 2019 - present Member of the Supervisory Board Frion, Zwolle, the Netherlands.
|Last modified:||30 November 2019 4.36 p.m.|