L.J. de Kok
May 12, 1952 (Scheemda, The Netherlands)
1973: College of Advanced Laboratory Education, Groningen.
1989: PhD at University of Groningen, The Netherlands; Thesis: Effects of Atmospheric Hydrogen Sulfide on Plant Metabolism.
1972-present: Laboratory of Plant Physiology, University of Groningen; Current position: Associate Professor.
March 1979 - August 1979: Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Plant Biochemistry, University of California, Riverside, USA.
September 1979 - February 1980: Research Biochemist, Statewide Air Pollution Research Center, University of California, Riverside, USA.
September 1986 - February 1987: Visiting Research Fellow, School of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Melbourne, Australia.
May 1988 - August 1988: Visiting Researcher, Fraunhofer Institute for Atmospheric Environmental Research, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
September 2006 – onwards: Honorary Principal Fellow, Department of Forest and Ecosystem Science, Creswick, University of Melbourne, Australia.
Professional Service and Management:
Chairman of the Management Committee and Chairman of all Meetings of COST Action 829: "Fundamental, Agronomical and Environmental Aspects of Sulfur Nutrition and Assimilation in Plants" (1997-2003).
Member of the Scientific Board of the Julius Kühn-Institut (JKI), Germany (2009 – onwards).
Vice President (P&D) of the International Scientific Centre of Fertilizers (CIEC) (2013 - onwards).
Chairman/Secretary of several symposia and workshops.
Editor of Springer "Plant Ecophysiology" series (www.springer.com/series/6193).
Editor of Springer "Proceedings of the International Plant Sulfur Workshop" series (www.springer.com/life+sciences/plant+sciences/book/978-94-007-4449-3).
Frank M. Maas: "Responses of Plants to Sulfur Containing Air Pollutants (H2S and SO2)", University of Groningen (PhD project funded by STW); Thesis defense: October 9, 1987.
Fokke Buwalda: "Effects of Atmospheric Hydrogen Sulfide on Thiol Metabolism in Higher Plants", University of Groningen; Thesis defense: November 26, 1993.
Tom A.W. van der Kooij: "Response of Arabidopsis thaliana to Elevated CO2 and SO2", ISBN 90-367-1193-2, University of Groningen (PhD project funded by Shell, Nederland B.V.); Thesis defense: March 24, 2000.
Sue Westerman: "Response of Sulfur Assimilation in Curly Kale to Atmospheric Hydrogen Sulfide", ISBN: 90-367-1330-7, University of Groningen; Thesis defense: November 20, 2000.
Mark Durenkamp: "Metabolism of Atmospheric Hydrogen Sulfide in Onion", ISBN 90-367-2403-1, University of Groningen; Thesis defense: October 28, 2005.
Liping Yang: "SO2 Nutrient or Toxin for Chinese Cabbage", ISBN 90-367-2391-4, University of Groningen (PhD project funded by NWO-WOTRO) - Thesis defense: December 5, 2005.
Anna Castro: Atmospheric NH3 Deposition, S and N Metabolism in Curly Kale", ISBN 80-367-2513-5, University of Groningen; Thesis defense: March 10, 2006.
Aleksandra Koralewska: "Whole Plant Regulation of Sulfate Uptake and Distribution in Cabbage", ISBN 978-90-367-3578-0, University of Groningen; Thesis defense: November 7, 2008.
Muhammad Shahbaz: "Copper Toxicity and Sulfur Metabolism in Chinese Cabbage", ISBN 978-90-367-5094-3, University of Groningen (PhD project funded by HEC, Pakistan); Thesis defense: October 14, 2011.
Tahereh Aghajanzadeh: "Sulfur Metabolism, Glucosinolates and Fungal Resistance in Brassica", ISBN: 978-90-367-8290-6, University of Groningen; Thesis defence: October 23, 2015.
Martin Reich: "Complexity of Nutrient Use Efficiency in Plants - Metabolic and Environmental Control at a Whole Plant Perspective", ISBN: 978-90-367-8522-8, University of Groningen (PhD project funded by Marie Sklodowska Curie Initial Training Network BIONUT); Thesis defence: December 18, 2015.
Plant Ecophysiology, Springer (Series Editor)
Applied Agricultural and Forestry Research
Environmental and Experimental Botany
Journal of Plant Nutrition
New Negatives in Plant Science
Acta Pharmaceutica, Annals of Botany, Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, Environmental and Experimental Botany, Environmental Pollution, Journal of Cereal Science, Journal of Experimental Botany, Journal of Plant Nutrition, Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, New Phytologist, Physiologia Plantarum, Plant Science, Plant and Soil, Plant Biology, Plant Physiology, Tree Physiology and others.
(Has directly been and is involved in the organization of several symposia and workshops. Has been invited to chair sessions of several other symposia, workshops, which have not been listed ).
- 5th International Symposium on Biochemistry and Metabolism of Plant Lipids, Groningen, The Netherlands, June 7 - 10, 1982.
- Symposium on Nitrogen Metabolism in Higher Plants, Haren, The Netherlands, April 9 - 12, 1985.
- Workshop on Sulfur Nutrition and Assimilation in Higher Plants; Fundamental, Environmental and Agricultural Aspects, Haren, The Netherlands, March 28-31, 1989 (Secretary).
- European Science Foundation Research Conference on Effects of Elevated CO2 levels, Air Pollutants and Climate Change on Natural Plant Ecosystems - Impact on Tree Physiology. Aghia Pelaghia, Crete, Greece, April 3 - 7, 1992 (Chairman).
- 2nd International Workshop on Sulfur Nutrition and Assimilation in Higher Plants; Physiological Functions and Environmental Significance, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, April 21 - 25, 1992 (Vice-Chairman).
- 3rd International Workshop on Sulfur Nutrition and Assimilation in Higher Plants, Newcastle, UK, April, 9 - 13, 1996.
- 4th International Symposium on Responses of Plants to Air Pollution, Egmond aan Zee, The Netherlands, April 1 - 5, 1997 (Chairman).
- 1st Joint Meetings of the Working Groups of COST Action 829 on Regulatory Aspects of Uptake and Reduction of Sulfate in Plants in Relation to the Metabolic Need for Growth, Goslar, Germany. January 31 - February 2, 1998.
- Meeting of Working Group IV of COST Action 829 on Environmental Aspects of Sulfur Nutrition in Plants, Pulawy, Poland, November 6 - 7, 1998.
- 30th Air Pollution Workshop, April 20 - 23, 1998, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.
- Meetings of Working Groups I and III of COST Action 829 on Sulfur and Crop Quality: Molecular and Agronomical Strategies for Crop Improvement, Naples, Italy, January 8 - 10, 1999.
- 4th International Workshop on Sulfur Nutrition and Sulfur Assimilation in Higher Plants: Molecular, Biochemical and Physiological Aspects, Wengen, Switzerland, April 6 - 10, 1999.
- 31th Air Pollution Workshop, April 25 - 30, 1999, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Corvallis, USA.
- Meetings of Working Groups II and IV of COST Action 829 on The Role of Sulfur Compounds in Plant Stress Adaptation, Lisbon, Portugal, January 7 - 9, 2000.
- Joint Meeting of Working Groups I and III of COST Action 829 on Plant Sulfur Metabolism and Plant Adaptation to Pests, Graz, Austria, September 1 - 3, 2000.
- Combined Meeting of Working Groups I and II of COST Action 829 on Plant Sulfur Metabolism at the Beginning of the 21st Century, Seville, Spain, February 2-3, 2001.
- 12th World Fertilizer Congress, August 3 - 9, 2001, Beijing, China.
- Combined Meeting of Working Groups III and IV of COST Action 829 on Sulfur-Nitrogen Interactions in Plants, Oulu, Finland, September 7 - 8, 2001.
- 5th International Symposium on Responses of Plant Metabolism to Air Pollution and Global Change, Pulawy, Poland, November 1 - 4, 2001 (Chairman).
- 5th International Workshop on Sulfur Nutrition and Assimilation in Higher Plants; Regulation, Interaction, Signaling, Montpellier, France, April 11 - 14, 2002.
- Combined Meeting of Working Group I & III of COST Action 829 on Improving Sulfur Nutrition in Plants - Molecular and Agronomic Approaches, Rothamsted, U.K., September 13 - 14, 2002. Combined Meeting of Working Groups I - IV of COST Action 829, on Progress in Plant Sulfur Research 1997-2003, Goslar, Germany, May 15 - 18, 2003 (Chairman).
- 7th International Symposium on Inorganic Nitrogen Assimilation in Plants, Wageningen, The Netherlands, June 23 - 27, 2004.
- 6th International Symposium on Plant Responses to Air Pollution and Global Change: from Molecular Biology to Plant Production and Ecosystem, Tsukuba International Congress Center, Tsukuba, Japan, October 19 - 22, 2004 (Vice-Chairman).
- 6th International Workshop on Plant Sulfur Metabolism: Sulfur Transport and Assimilation in the Post Genomic Era, Kazusa Akademia Center, Kisarazu, Chiba, Japan, May 17 - 21, 2005.
- Workshop on Cross-talk between Metabolic Pathways involving Sulfur in Plants, FAL Braunschweig, October 21 - 22, 2005.
- Symposium on Loads and Fate of Fertilizer-Derived Uranium, Julius Kühn-Institut (JKI), Braunschweig, June 4 - 6, 2007.
- 7th International Workshop on Sulfur Metabolism in Higher Plants: Regulatory Aspects, Significance of Sulfur in the Food Chain, Agriculture and Environment, Polish Academy of Science, Warsaw, Poland, May 13 - 18, 2008.
- 7th International Symposium on Air Pollution and Global Change: Plant Functioning in a Changing Global Environment, University of Melbourne, Creswick, December 7 - 11, 2008 (Secretary).
- 8th International Workshop on Sulfur Metabolism in Plants: Mechanisms and Application to Food Security and Responses to Climate Change, University of Melbourne, Creswick, November 22 - 27, 2010 (Chairman).
- 8th International Symposium on Air Pollution and Global Change : Plant Functioning in a Changing Global and Polluted Environment, Hampshire Hotel - Plaza, Groningen , The Netherlands, June 5 - 9, 2011 (Chairman).
- 4th Sulphyton Workshop, Stanley Hotel, Athens, Greece, September 5 - 8, 2013.
- 9th Plant Sulfur Workshop: Sulfur Metabolism in Plants - Molecular Physiology and Ecophysiology of Sulfur, Schloss Reinach. Freiburg, Germany, April 14 - 17. 2014.
- 10th Jubilee Plant Sulfur Workshop: Plant Sulfur Metabolism in Higher Plants - Fundamental, Environmental and Agricultural Aspects, Hotel De Achtermann, Goslar, Germany, September 1 - 4, 2015 (Chairman).
- 5th Sulphyton Workshop: Sulfur Nutrition and Metabolism in Plants University of Taipei Campus, Taipei, Taiwan, September 14 - 17, 2016 (Chairman).
- 25th International Symposium of the International Scientific Centre for Fertilizers (CIEC): Sulfur in Agriculture, Hampshire Hotel - Plaza, Groningen, The Netherlands, September 5 - 9, 2017 (Chairman).
Invited lectures and seminars:
Has presented many lectures, seminars and oral presentations at society meetings, conferences, workshops and during visits to universities/institutes in the Netherlands and abroad for instance in Australia, Austria, China, Belgium, Denmark, Emirates, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Ukraine, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, USA on various topics in plant physiological research viz. lipid metabolism, adaptation of plant to chilling temperatures and frost, the significance of glutathione in the plants, the impact of elevated CO2 on plants, regulatory aspects of plant sulfur metabolism, metabolism and/or toxicity of air pollutants. Several of these presentations were given upon invitation and/or during visits abroad in order to discuss cooperative research programs, grant proposals etc.
|Last modified:||18 June 2019 11.59 a.m.|