Supervising thesis students
|Target group||Supervisors of Bachelor's or Master's students who are writing their theses.|
|Level||No (educational) experience required|
|Date||Spring 2019: March 19, 2019 (9.30-13.00)|
|Study load||8 hours|
|Number of participants||12 participants|
|Certificate||You will be awarded a certificate upon completing and passing the assignments.|
|Language||Depending on registrations: Dutch/English spoken|
Some lecturers find that supervising students who are writing their thesis is one of the most inspiring forms of teaching. However, supervision of students in the final phase of their degree programme, often gives rise to questions or problems. The course 'Supervising thesis students' focuses on your role as a supervisor. You will learn to tailor your duties as a supervisor to the function of the thesis, the requirements that it must satisfy and the requirements that the student must satisfy. A theoretical framework that is linked to your experiences, will be provided. Next to that, there is ample opportunity to share experiences with your fellow participants and the course leader after which possible solutions will be discussed.
The course will discuss the following questions:
- What is expected of you as a supervisor?
- How can you determine your responsibility in relation to the responsibility of the student?
- How do you make your expectations match those of the student?
- How do you deal with difficult supervision situations?
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Recognize different supervision roles;
- Recognize different phases in supervision;
- Determine how far supervision should go;
- Improve the effectiveness of your supervision;
- Solve supervision problems.
- ' The theory is supported by real cases and problems.'
- 'There is a lot of space for discussion based on your own experiences.'
|Last modified:||22 January 2018 3.19 p.m.|