Thermal & non-linear effects
Electronic spin transport in graphene transistors has been an active topic of research in our group. Using a graphene-based spin-valve device we can probe spin diffusion and precession through this single layer of carbon atoms (see  for a review). Another line of research involves more conventional metallic spin-valve structures, which reveal a myriad of quite unconventional (and often ignored) thermoelectric effects. We build upon the existing work mentioned above in order to expand our understanding of graphene nanodevices.
In this research line we focus on studying thermal and non-linear electronic effects in graphene devices. Besides charge and spin transport, the superior heat transport  and thermoelectric properties  of graphene point towards rich physics that is yet to be addressed on the experimental front. One example of the latter is the interplay of spin and thermal effects, or spin caloritronics, in graphene. Along these lines, we have recently studied a relationship between spintronics and thermoelectrics which results in novel non-linear phenomena [4, 5]. For the general public there is also a news article.
Students looking for a master project are welcome to join. We offer training with a good mix of cleanroom processing, electronic measurements, physical modeling and numerical simulation. If you are interested on this topic please contact Ivan Vera-Marun.
- M. Popinciuc et al., “Electronic spin transport in graphene field-effect transistors,” Phys. Rev. B 80, 214427 (2009).
- Alexander A. Balandin et al., “Superior Thermal Conductivity of Single-Layer Graphene,” Nano Letters 8, 902-907 (2008).
- Yuri M. Zuev, Willy Chang, and Philip Kim, “Thermoelectric and Magnetothermoelectric Transport Measurements of Graphene,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 096807 (2009).
- I. J. Vera-Marun, V. Ranjan, and B. J. van Wees, "Nonlinear interaction of spin and charge currents in graphene", Phys. Rev. B 84, 241408(R) (2011).
- Ivan J. Vera-Marun, Vishal Ranjan and Bart J. van Wees, "Nonlinear detection of spin currents in graphene with non-magnetic electrodes", Nature Physics 8, 313-316 (2012).
|Laatst gewijzigd:||09 juli 2015 10:59|