Each academic year the Young Academy organises a selection procedure for up to seven new members. All scientific staff members of the University of Groningen and UMCG who fulfill the following criteria are eligible for membership:
- The applicant has received his/her first PhD degree less than 10 years before applying for Young Academy membership (measured from the date of the call). This period may be extended up to a maximum of 2 years in case of pregnancy (12 months per child), illness or childcare (formal reduction in working hours), or training in a clinical specialism (total aggregated time spent on training).
- The applicant exhibits academic excellence.
- The applicant is an independent researcher pursuing his/her own research topic.
- The applicant is an ambassador for the University and for science.
- The applicant has a proven track record in at least one of the following areas: science policy, societal challenges and knowledge transfer, outreach initiatives, diversity and internationalisation, interdisciplinarity.
In line with the international character of the University of Groningen, the Young Academy conducts its business in English and therefore knowledge of the Dutch language is not required for membership.
University of Groningen/UMCG Members of the Dutch Young Academy (De Jonge Academie) do not need to apply for membership as they are selected as members of the Young Academy Groningen by virtue of their DJA membership.
In selecting new members, the Young Academy Groningen will seek a fair representation of the University’s different faculties, disciplines, Dutch and international staff, an even “time after PhD defence” and gender distribution. Members are elected for five years (non-renewable).
|Last modified:||09 April 2019 3.49 p.m.|