Prognostic Impact of Clinicopathological Features and Expression of Biomarkers Related to F-18-FDG Uptake in Esophageal CancerSchreurs, L. M. A., Smit, J. K., Pavlov, K., Pultrum, B. B., Pruim, J., Groen, H., Hollema, H. & Plukker, J. T. M., Nov-2014, In : Annals of Surgical Oncology. 21, 12, p. 3751-3757 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Academic › peer-review
- Center for Medical Imaging (CMI)
- Guided Treatment in Optimal Selected Cancer Patients (GUTS)
- Methods in Medicines evaluation & Outcomes research (M2O)
- Reproductive Origins of Adult Health and Disease (ROAHD)
- Targeted Gynaecologic Oncology (TARGON)
- Damage and Repair in Cancer Development and Cancer Treatment (DARE)
To analyze the association between pretreatment 18-F-fluoro-deoxyglucose (FDG) uptake and characteristics of aggressive tumor biology in predicting outcome in esophageal cancer (EC).
Tumor FDG-uptake was measured by maximum standardized uptake values (SUVmax) in 47 patients undergoing esophagectomy with curative intent. ROC analyses were used to predict an optimal SUVmax cutoff for survival. Expression of hexokinase-II (HK-II), glucose transporter I (GLUT-I), hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-I alpha), vascular endothelial growth factor-C (VEGF-C), p53, and proliferative activity (Ki-67) were correlated with SUVmax values and clinicopathological characteristics.
A SUVmax > 3.67 predicted a significantly lower disease-free survival (DFS) and distant recurrence-free survival (p = 0.022 and p = 0.005). High HK-II expression was correlated with reduced SUVmax values (p = 0.002) and was significantly higher in esophageal adenocarcinoma compared with squamous cell carcinoma (p = 0.005). Preoperative high FDG uptake in primary tumors was associated with nodal metastases (pN1; Spearman correlation 0.39, p = 0.01). We found no positive correlation between SUVmax and GLUT-1, HK-1, HIF-I alpha 1, VEGF-C, p53, and Ki-67 expression.
High preoperative FDG-uptake strongly predicts poor survival outcome and is associated with lymph node metastases in EC patients. HK-II expression was related to SUVmax and DFS.
|Number of pages||7|
|Journal||Annals of Surgical Oncology|
|Publication status||Published - Nov-2014|
- F-18-FDG-PET, Biomarkers, Standardized uptake values, Prognosis, Esophageal cancer, ENDOTHELIAL GROWTH-FACTOR, POSITRON-EMISSION-TOMOGRAPHY, SQUAMOUS-CELL CARCINOMA, HYPOXIA-INDUCIBLE FACTOR-1-ALPHA, STANDARDIZED UPTAKE VALUE, HEXOKINASE-II, LUNG-CANCER, ROC CURVES, FACTOR-C, SURVIVAL