Dopamine concentration in blood platelets is elevated in patients with head and neck paragangliomasOsinga, T. E., van der Horst-Schrivers, A. N. A., van Faassen, M., Kerstens, M. N., Dullaart, R. P. F., Peters, M. A. M., van der Laan, B. F. A. M., de Bock, G. H., Links, T. P. & Kema, I. P., Aug-2016, In : Clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine. 54, 8, p. 1395-1401 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Academic › peer-review
- Guided Treatment in Optimal Selected Cancer Patients (GUTS)
- Lifestyle Medicine (LM)
- Damage and Repair in Cancer Development and Cancer Treatment (DARE)
- Bioadhesion, Biocompatibility and Infection (BIOBI)
- Life Course Epidemiology (LCE)
- Basic and Translational Research and Imaging Methodology Development in Groningen (BRIDGE)
BACKGROUND: Plasma 3-methoxytyramine (3-MT), a metabolite of dopamine, is elevated in up to 28% of patients with head and neck paragangliomas (HNPGLs). As free dopamine is incorporated in circulating platelets, we determined dopamine concentration in platelets in patients with a HNPGL.
METHODS: A single center cohort study was performed between 2012 and 2014. Thirty-six patients with a HNPGL were compared to healthy controls (68 for dopamine in platelets and 120 for plasma 3-MT).
RESULTS: Dopamine concentration in platelets was elevated in HNPGL patients compared to healthy controls (median [interquartile ranges] 0.48 [0.32-0.82] pmol/109 platelets vs. 0.31 [0.24-0.47] pmol/109 platelets; p<0.05), whereas plasma 3-MT concentration did not differ between both groups (0.06 [0.06-0.08] nmol/L vs. 0.06 [0.06-0.06] nmol/L; p=0.119). Based on 68 healthy controls, the reference interval for dopamine concentration in platelets was 0.12-0.97 pmol/109 platelets. Six (16.7%) patients with a HNPGL demonstrated an increased dopamine concentration in platelets compared to three (8.3%) patients with an increased plasma 3-MT level (p=0.053). The sensitivity and specificity were 16.7% and 98.5% for platelet dopamine and 8.3% and 97.5% for plasma 3-MT concentration (p=0.37).
CONCLUSIONS: Dopamine concentration in platelets is elevated in patients with a HNPGL compared to healthy subjects, and may be a novel biomarker for dopamine producing paraganglioma.
|Number of pages||7|
|Journal||Clinical chemistry and laboratory medicine|
|Publication status||Published - Aug-2016|
- 3-methoxytyramine, dopamine, paraganglioma, platelets, TANDEM MASS-SPECTROMETRY, URINARY-EXCRETION, PLASMA, PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA, MIGRAINE, 3-METHOXYTYRAMINE, CATECHOLAMINES, METANEPHRINES, 5-HYDROXYTRYPTAMINE, NORMETANEPHRINE