Data from: Density-dependent population dynamics of a high Arctic capital breeder, the barnacle goose
Layton-Matthews, K. (Creator), Loonen, M. (Creator), Hansen, B. B. (Creator), Coste, C. F. D. (Creator), Saether, B. (Creator), Grotan, V. (Creator), Dryad Digital Repository, 1-May-2019
- Kate Layton-Matthews (Creator)
- Maarten Loonen (Creator)
- Brage Bremset Hansen (Creator)
- Christophe F.D. Coste (Creator)
- Bernt-Erik Saether (Creator)
- Vidar Grotan (Creator)
- UNIV TRONDHEIM, Norwegian University of Science & Technology
We developed an integrated population model for a local population of Svalbard barnacle geese, Branta leucopsis, using counts, reproductive data and individual‐based mark–recapture data (1990–2017) to model age class‐specific survival, reproduction and number of individuals. Based on these estimates, we quantified the changes in demographic structure and the effect of population size on age class‐specific vital rates and elasticities, as well as the population growth rate.
Count data of the number of yearlings and adults in Kongsfjorden came from two sources; from 1990 to 1996, total population size was estimated from the number of marked individuals observed, divided by the average proportion of marked geese in catches, known as a Petersen estimate (Begon, 1979). After 1996, counts of the number of yearlings and adults occurred during the moulting phase (end of July). Only counts of yearlings and adults (combined) were included since the timing of counts was often before first‐year birds fledged and pre‐fledging mortality is high (Loonen et al.,1998 ).
R-script included in the package.
|Date made available||1-May-2019|
|Publisher||Dryad Digital Repository|
|Temporal coverage||1990 - 2017|
|Date of data production||1990 - 2017|
|Geographical coverage||Kongsfjorden, Norway|
|Access to the dataset||Open|
- Branta leucopsis, Ecology, integrated population model, barnacle geese, density dependence, perturbation analysis, population dynamics, capital breeder
Keywords on Datasets
- Loonen, M. J. J. E., Hansen, B. B., Coste, C. F. D., Saether, B-E. & Grotan, V., Aug-2019, In : Journal of Animal Ecology. 88, 8, p. 1191-1201 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Academic › peer-review