Art & Technology
|When:||Th 09-03-2017 13:00 - 22:00|
|Where:||Groninger Museum and Doopsgezinde Kerk|
Arts Conference: Art & Technology
Studievereniging IK & Arts in Society
In cooperation with Groninger Museum and West Den Haag
Artists have always been fascinated by developments in technology: from electronic music and virtual reality to net-art and science fiction novels. Historically, technological developments have often been the impetus of artistic revolutions, both with regard to the production and the reception or experience of art. Conversely, the imagination of artists have inspired scientists to develop new technologies, for instance for space travels. However, technology sometimes also gave inspiration for darker images of the future in the arts – think of dystopias like Huxley’s Brave New World, Atelier van Lieshout’s SlaveCity, or Dave Eggers’s novel The Circle.
During the Arts Conference 2017 we invite speakers to reflect on the relationship between art and technology. We have invited speakers both from theory and practice, and both from the world of arts and the world of technology. They will address some of the following questions:
- What role does technology (varying from genomics, information and communication technology, etc.) play in the arts?
- How can art and technology enrich one another?
- Can art solve technological problems? Or vice versa?
- How has the artistic experience developed as a consequence of technological developments?
- Should art change the world? Should art solve problems, or rather create or draw our attention to problems?
- What is the difference (if any?) between art and design?
The conference consists of a day program in the Groninger Museum, and an evening program in de Doopsgezinde Kerk (Oude Boteringestraat 33)
Day program: 13:00-16:30 - Groninger Museum
- Sue-an van der Zijp (curator, Groninger Museum)
- Linda Nijenhof (lecturer, University of Groningen)
- Petran Kockelkoren (em. professor University of Twente)
- Rob Zwijnenberg (professor University of Leiden)
- Matteo Marangoni (artist)
Evening program: 19:00-22:00 - Doopsgezinde Kerk
Lecture, workshop and debate by:
- Peter Luining (artist, curator, theorist)
- Salim Bayri (Hanzehogeschool, MA Media, Art, Design & Technology)
- Sanne Koevoets (University of Groningen, University of Utrecht)
Regular updates are on the facebook page: