Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
ResearchCentre for East Asian Studies Groningen

China Exchange programme KNAW: three types of funding

07 May 2015

The China Exchange Programme (CEP) aims to foster scientific research cooperation between the Netherlands and the People’s Republic of China. CEP supports (the initiation of) collaboration in all fields of science.

The programme facilitates the exchanges of junior researchers, short-term joint research projects, and a yearly themed summer school.

The programme is carried out within the framework of the memoranda of understanding between the Netherlands Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) and three Chinese counterpart organizations, the Ministry of Education (MOE), the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS).


The programme offers three types of funding:

  • Joint Research Projects (JRP)
    Financial support for Dutch universities, research institutes, laboratories, or research groups wishing to carry out a joint research project of mutual scientific benefit with Chinese counterparts.
  • Summer School
    Financial support for a themed summer school to be organized primarily by researchers affiliated to a Dutch university or research institute, to be held in China and open for at least Dutch and Chinese researchers/scholars. The summer school should be interdisciplinary or in-depth within one discipline. The intention of the summer school should be to exchange knowledge on multiple levels and to initiate new connections between Chinese and Dutch researchers.
  • Individual Visits (call will open in the coming weeks)
    Grants for individual junior researchers, Dutch or Chinese, who wish to conduct research or education in respectively China or the Netherlands. The intention of the visit should be to enrich their ongoing research project and to establish new connections.


The total annual budget is EUR 470,000. The programme helps cover the following costs:

  • Travel (Dutch researchers going to China)
  • Subsistence allowance and accommodation (Chinese researchers staying in the Netherlands)*
  • Material costs in the Netherlands (JRP only)
  • Fieldwork expenses in China (JRP only)
  • Organization costs Summer School
  • Visa and insurance costs

For a specification of the fundable costs, check the infosheet on the right-hand side of this page.

* Please note that regulations for receiving Chinese researchers are subject to change. Please check with your university/institute and/or find more information on the euraxess website.


Main assessment criteria for applications:

  • Scientific quality of proposal and applicant(s)
  • Mutual scientific and/or networking benefits
  • Feasibility
  • Embedding of activities

Who can apply?

  • The Dutch applicant should be a senior researcher (JRP & Summer School) or a junior researcher (Individial Visit). He/she should be affiliated to a Dutch university or publicly funded research institute in the Netherlands
  • The Chinese applicant should be a senior researcher (JRP & Summer School) or a junior researcher (Individial Visit). He/she should be affiliated to a Chinese university or research institute resorting under one of the Chinese counterpart organisations (MoE, CAS, or CASS)

How to apply?

Apply to the KNAW by submitting the appropriate Application Form, to be found at the right-hand side of this page.

  • The deadline to apply for a Joint Research Project is 1 September 2015.
  • The deadline to apply for a Summer School is 1 September 2015.
  • Call for applications for Individual Visits will open in the coming weeks. Please check our website for updates.

Applicants should read the Guidelines and infosheet, to be found at the right-hand side of this page, carefully before completing the form.

  • Applicants for JRPs with CAS/CASS are advised that their Chinese partner (institution) should simultaneously submit a copy of its application, or the relevant Chinese application form, to the Chinese counterpart authority to which their institution reports.
  • Applicants for JRPs with MoE only have to submit their application on the KNAW side. If necessary, the Ministry of Education will contact the Chinese applicant to retrieve further information on her/his application.

Chinese researchers who wish to apply for an Individual Visit to the Netherlands must submit applications directly to the relevant Chinese counterpart organisation.

The grant will be awarded after approval by both the KNAW and the relevant Chinese counterpart organization. Activities may only commence after official approval.

Last modified:24 July 2018 12.58 p.m.

More news