Dirk Smilde Scholarship 2020
The Qumran Institute of the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Groningen is happy to announce the call for 2020 Dirk Smilde Scholarships for excellent PhD students/candidates and postdocs in Hebrew Bible, Second Temple Judaism, Dead Sea Scrolls, and related fields.
2 scholarships will be offered for a duration of 3 months each, to be in residence October through December, 2020. The scholarship amounts to €1,000 per month.
The scholarships will coincide with the residence of the 2020 Dirk Smilde Fellow, Professor Annette Yoshiko Reed, and the recipients will participate in the weekly research seminar led by Professor Reed, “Judaism, Christianity, and the Forgotten Past” (see below) as well as the intellectual community of the Institute and the Faculty.
To apply, please submit the following materials no later than 15 February 2020:
- Letter of interest
- Description of the proposed research project
- Published or unpublished work related to the project
- Any other materials that you believe would be useful in helping the selection committee evaluate your scholarship.
- (2) letters of recommendation
Please email your application materials by 15 February to Ms. Willeke van de Pol: w.c.van.de.pol rug.nl
Inquiries should be addressed to the Director of the Qumran Institute, Prof. Dr. Mladen Popović: m.popovic rug.nl
Florentino García Martínez Research Master Scholarship, established by Jan Overmeer
The Qumran Institute of the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies (University of Groningen) is delighted to present the Florentino García Martínez Research Master Scholarship for excellent students. The scholarship is specifically for students in the fields of Hebrew Bible, early Judaism and Dead Sea Scrolls.
The scholarship is € 1,000 and is meant to cover some of the expenses connected with the two-year
Research Master programme
at the Faculty’s Graduate School.
Awards are made on academic merit, evaluated by an academic committee. Outstanding students who wish to apply must submit:
- a letter of motivation for enrolling in the Research Master specifically for the fields of Hebrew Bible, early Judaism or Dead Sea Scrolls
- the list of marks for their BA
- a writing sample (essay, thesis) from their BA
- two letters of recommendation
- a plan for how to spend the scholarship (e.g. tuition assistance, books, conference visit, etc.)
The Qumran Institute welcomes applications for the Florentino García Martínez Research Master Scholarship.
The deadline for submission for non-EU/EEA students is 1 March and the deadline for EU/EEA students is 15 May.
Applications for the scholarship should be submitted to the secretary of the Qumran Institute, Ms. Willeke van de Pol: w.c.van.de.pol rug.nl. Further enquiries should be addressed to the Director of the Qumran Institute, Prof. Dr. Mladen Popović: m.popovic rug.nl.
|Last modified:||12 December 2019 1.29 p.m.|