Tools and approaches of systems biology

Faculteit Science and Engineering
Jaar 2021/22
Vakcode WMBS005-05
Vaknaam Tools and approaches of systems biology
Niveau(s) master
Voertaal Engels
Periode semester I a (27-09-2021 till 17-10-2021)
ECTS 5
Rooster rooster.rug.nl

Uitgebreide vaknaam Tools and approaches of systems biology
Leerdoelen At the end of the course, the student is able to:

1) explain the principles of modern 'omics'-based measurement techniques
2) explain the concepts behind computational methods to extract information from large data sets
3) develop different types of mathematical models to describe biological phenomena
4) analyse the literature and extract relevant information
Omschrijving In the course, students should become familiar with the modern tools and approaches of systems biology. Specifically, the course will introduce (i) the principles of the powerful omics measurement technologies, (ii) the computational concepts used to extract information from these large data sets, and iii) how mathematical models can be used to investigate complex biological systems.

These concepts and approaches will be illustrated with examples from metabolism-related research such that the students also gain further knowledge in this particular field of biology.

The course consists of three parts:
1) lectures, focusing on overview of tools with examples from recent literature;
2) practical work in which students perform computational analyses and develop their own mathematical models;
3) assignments in which students prepare short presentations on questions related to recent literature
Uren per week
Onderwijsvorm Hoorcollege (LC), Practisch werk (PRC), Werkcollege (T)
(Literature discussions, practical parts and presentations are mandatory. Without having done these parts, the student will not be admitted to the written exam.)
Toetsvorm Practisch werk (PR), Schriftelijk tentamen (WE)
(The result of the written exam and the performance during the literature discussions, practical parts and presentations determines the mark of this course. The written exam counts 90%, while the students' performance in the other course elements counts 10% towards the final mark. The written part has to be at least a 6 in order to pass the course.)
Vaksoort master
Coördinator prof. dr. M. Heinemann
Docent(en) prof. dr. M. Heinemann
Verplichte literatuur
Titel Auteur ISBN Prijs
Hand-outs of sheets and relevant (review) papers are provided during the course and will appear on Nestor.
Entreevoorwaarden The course unit assumes prior knowledge acquired from a Bachelor programme that taught the basics of molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry.

Approx. 30 students from the above mentioned degree programme(s) are participating in the course unit. The course unit is one of the compulsory courses of the MSc Biomolecular Sciences degree programme, and an elective in other programmes.
Opmerkingen Students from the degree programme Biomolecular Sciences have priority, to register please send an email to: academicadvisor.mscbio@rug.nl
Opgenomen in
Opleiding Jaar Periode Type
MSc Biology: Modelling in the Life Sciences  (Electives/Optional modules) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biology: Research  (Compulsory master courses) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biology: Science, Business and Policy  (Compulsory master courses) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Biology of Ageing  (Electives (10 ECTS)) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Biology of Cancer and Immune System  (Electives ) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Biology of Food and Nutrition  (Electives (10 ECTS)) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Neuroscience  (Electives (10 ECTS)) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Research  (Electives) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomedical Sciences: Science, Business and Policy  (Electives (10 ECTS)) - semester I a keuze
MSc Biomolecular Sciences  ( Compulsory courses general programme (3 out of 9)) - semester I a keuzegroep
MSc Biomolecular Sciences  (Electives/Optional modules) - semester I a keuze
MSc Courses for Exchange Students: Biology - semester I a
MSc Ecology and Evolution: Ecology and Conservation  (Electives/optional modules) - semester I a keuze
MSc Ecology and Evolution: Evolutionary Biology  (Electives/optional modules) - semester I a keuze
MSc Marine Biology: Research  (Electives/Optional modules) - semester I a keuze
MSc Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences: Drug Toxicology & Translational Technology  (Electives) - semester I a keuze
MSc Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences: Pharmaceutical Design and Engineering  (Other possible Electives) - semester I a keuze
MSc Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences: Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics  (Electives) - semester I a keuze
MSc Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences: Research  (Electives) - semester I a keuze
MSc Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences: Science, Business and Policy  (Electives (5 ECTS)) - semester I a keuze