Mathematics and its Environment

Faculteit Science and Engineering
Jaar 2021/22
Vakcode WMMA013-05
Vaknaam Mathematics and its Environment
Niveau(s) master
Voertaal Engels
Periode semester I b
ECTS 5
Rooster rooster.rug.nl

Uitgebreide vaknaam Mathematics and its Environment
Leerdoelen After finishing the course, students are able to

1) set up a research project on the position of mathematics as a scientific discipline, with strong societal relevance,
a) asking research questions with a historical, policy or scientific background,
b) processing information which helps understanding problems in a limited amount of time,
c) finding relevance for a research project outside the field of mathematics, but with relation to that field.
2) present some provocative thoughts on specific highlights of 20th century mathematics,
a) giving short presentations on newly acquired knowledge relating to the current state of mathematics,
b) defending ideas on the position of mathematics in society,
c) discussing the use and position of mathematics in academia.
3) take active part in discussions on the present position of mathematics in both society and in academia,
a) challenging set concepts on the position of mathematics,
b) challenging ideas on the working of academia in public
4) relate how academics skills and knowledge on mathematics can be of use to other disciplines, both inside and outside academia,
a) reviewing their own work on mathematics in relation to its position within academia,
b) the work of peers on the position of mathematics within academia
Omschrijving Students study the environment of modern mathematics. They learn to set up focused and limited research projects to acquire information on specific subjects and produce position pieces.
The course is a combination of short lectures, in which the teachers introduce topics from mathematics education, ethics concerning the use of mathematics as well as functioning in academia, and the nature of mathematics. Students will give their own views on these topics in a series of short presentations. These presentations are the basis for discussions and assignments both inside and outside the classroom.
Starting with four broad themes, all groups of 4 students are obliged to present their own findings on four broad themes (Proof, Problem Solving, Mathematical Literacy, Ethics). The next theme is not fixed, but may be chosen freely within the framework of Mathematics and its Environment. After this, the teachers will introduce a further topic (Mathematics and Communication).
Students are encouraged and expected to actively contribute to the discussions and assignments in every class meeting. A thorough preparation of the assigned reading is essential for this. Students are also expected to contribute through modern media.
All students will (1) give two short presentations on two different subjects. (2) Write a position piece (Blog/Facebook/Social Mediastyle). (3) write a position paper on a subject relating to the general theme of the course.
Uren per week
Onderwijsvorm Hoorcollege (LC), Opdracht (ASM), Werkcollege (T)
(Presence during all lectures and tutorials is mandatory.)
Toetsvorm Opdracht (AST), Presentatie (P), Verslag (R)
(Two oral presentations (total 25% of final grad), a position piece (total 25% of final grade), a final academic position paper (total 50% of final grade). The average of all marks should be higher than a 5.5. Non of the marks should be lower than 5 (if that is the case a reparation assignment can be required).)
Vaksoort master
Coördinator Dr. A. Mali
Docent(en) Dr. A. Mali
Entreevoorwaarden The course builds on knowledge of the bachelor course Mathematics & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
Opmerkingen
Opgenomen in
Opleiding Jaar Periode Type
MSc Applied Mathematics: Computational Mathematics  ( MSc Applied Mathematics: Computational Mathematics ) - semester I b verplicht
MSc Applied Mathematics: Systems and Control  (MSc Applied Mathematics: Systems and Control) - semester I b verplicht
MSc Mathematics and Physics (double degree)  (Mathematics and Complex Dynamical Systems (50 ects)) - semester I b verplicht
MSc Mathematics: Mathematics and Complex Dynamical Systems - semester I b verplicht
MSc Mathematics: Science, Business and Policy  (MSc Mathematics: Science, Business and Policy) - semester I b verplicht
MSc Mathematics: Statistics and Big Data  (MSc Mathematics: Statistics and Big Data) - semester I b verplicht
Tweejaarlijkse vakken  (Oneven jaren) - semester I b -