dubbelepunt, deux-points, Doppelpunkt
The function of a colon is to:
- introduce a list;
- indicate that what follows is an explanation or an elaboration of what precedes it;
- mark a clause in which reasons or explanations are given;
- indicate a sub-title;
- introduce a piece of direct speech or a quotation.
The rules of use
- is always preceded by a full sentence, but what follows may or may not be complete;
- is always followed by a single white space in normal use and never by a hyphen or a dash;
- is used after a word, phrase or sentence in the middle of a text that introduces material that is indented;
- separates a title and subtitle;
- should not be used at the end of a heading which introduces a new section of a document;
- is not normally followed by a capital letter (although US English prefers to use a capital).
|Laatst gewijzigd:||15 september 2017 21:00|