If a number appears as the first word in a sentence, always write it out in full.
Ten people were interviewed
Forty-six per cent of the voting public agreed with the decision
If this results in a cumbersome sentence, see whether changing the word order resolves the issue.
- One hundred and three people were interviewed by the advertising agency. » The advertising agency interviewed 103 people
The words ‘figure’ and ‘number’ are both used to talk about statistical data generally.
- The figures/numbers in the results need to be interpreted critically
There is no final ‘s’ on hundred/thousand/million used in whole numbers:
- There are six million sheep on the island
- But: thousands of people fled as a result of the drought
Always use numerals with abbreviations or symbols:
- 50 gm (= 50 grams)
- 30° (= 30 degrees)
For large numbers, use a combination of numerals separated by a point (full stop) and words:
- 4.5 million
- 36 billion
Express related numbers in the same style:
- ... only 5 of the 250 delegates were present.
- ... exactly 3 tractors and 129 trucks.
- ... the costs rose from 1 billion to 1.2 billion.
|Laatst gewijzigd:||15 september 2017 21:00|