Organisation of Standard Courses
The aims of our general language courses are described in terms of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), developed by the Council of Europe. The CEFR is a reference framework that provides a basis for comparing language proficiency levels and interpreting test scores.
Target Group / Office Hours
The Language Centre's courses are designed for people who have followed higher education. If you are not sure whether our courses are right for you, please visit our office hours.
For some language courses, it is strongly recommended or even mandatory (Dutch and English) to attend the office hour and speak to a teacher. During that meeting the teacher will determine which course is most suitable for you.
Language of Instruction
The target language is the language of instruction as much as possible.
On each course page there is a description of the course material. The course material is not included in the course fee. The course material is not available at the Language Centre, except for the material for the Dutch courses.
There is a maximum of 16 participants in each group, unless otherwise indicated in the course description.
An intern may attend our courses, but always under the supervision of the teacher.
A contact hour lasts 50 minutes (excluding break). Classes start on the hour.
At the end of a course, every participant will receive an attendance certificate on condition that they have attended 75% of the lessons.
Where possible, Language Centre courses are held in the University buildings in the city centre of Groningen. However, sometimes we have to use different locations due to a lack of available rooms. Locations may also change for part of the course period. As room timetables are always announced very late, we will not be able to inform you of where your course will take place until less than a week before the start of the course. Here is an overview of the various course locations:
- Academy building RUG, Broerstraat 5
- Archeology building RUG, Broerstraat 9
- Aweg Education building/Arctic Centre, Aweg 30
- Bloemstraat, Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences (GMW), Bloemstraat 36/36a
- Calmershuis, Oude Boteringestraat 24
- Harmonie complex, Faculty of Arts, Oude Kijk in 't Jatstraat 26
- Munting building, Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences, Grote Kruisstraat 2/1
- Oude Boteringestraat 18
- OB 23, Oude Boteringestraat 23
- OB 34 HOVO, Oude Boteringestraat 34
- Forum Groningen, Nieuwe Markt 1
- Poststraat 6 (Institute for Archeology)
- Turftoren building, Faculty of Law, entrance: Uurwerkersgang
- University College Groningen (UCG), building 4345, Hoendiepskade 23/24
- University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) building 3211, Antonius Deusinglaan 1
- University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) building 3111, Antonius Deusinglaan 2
- Zernike Duisenberg building 5411, 5412, 5414, Faculty of Economics and Business, Nettelbosje 2
- Zernike Kapteynborg building 5419, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Landleven 12
|Last modified:||03 July 2020 4.30 p.m.|