The integrative role of team sports
This project aims at understanding the ways in which sports, as space of encounter, can contribute to a sense of inclusion in young, ethnic minorities in multicultural societies. Specifically, the planned project will assess (1) to what extent the participation in sports leads to the integration of (young) ethnic minority members, and (2) which processes contribute to such potential positive effects. Moreover, we want to investigate (3) whether positive integration effects of sports carry over to other spaces of encounter in everyday lives of young minority members (e.g. neighbourhood).
Researchers and partners
Partners outside of the University of Groningen
- Prof. Anne-Marie Elbe, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Dr. Xavier Sanchez, University of Cumbria, Great-Britain
- Van Yperen, N.W., Blaga, M., Postmes, T. (2014). A meta-analysis of self-reported achievement goals and nonself-report performance across three achievement domains (work, sports, and education). PLOS ONE, 9(4): e93594.
- Van Yperen, N.W., Blaga, M., & Postmes, T. (2015). A meta-analysis of the impact of situationally induced achievement goals on task performance. Human Performance, 28, 165-182.
Successful grant proposals and other achievements
- Double PhD project University of Groningen and University of Copenhagen
University's focus areas
- Healthy Ageing
- Sustainable Society
|Last modified:||10 January 2022 5.28 p.m.|