Reasoning and Arguing
This module aims to teach students skills in using symbolisms and in analysing sentences, reasoning and arguments. The final aim is to be able to assess the validity of reasoning and arguments, thus regular exercises will be essential. The courses consists of an introduction to argumentation theory and formal logic.
In the part on argumentation theory, we will discuss the following topics:
- What does it mean to have a critical discussion?
- In which ways can one differ in opinion?
- What are fallacies, and what is wrong with them?
- Can you attribute to someone an opinion that is not expressed?
In the part on formal logic, we will treat the following topics:
- What is the meaning of ‘meaning’?
- What do we mean when we claim that someone is inconsistent?
- What is formal logic?
- When exactly is an argument valid or invalid?
|Laatst gewijzigd:||24 april 2015 14:36|