LC | New Business Developments in Africa
Africa is the continent where business is developing rapidly. In several fields we see new and fast going developments (ICT applications, Agricultural field (seed breeding, irrigations, drone techniques for cultivating crops), Energy and the curse of natural resources). It is worth studying these developments in more detail and find out how this will work out. What will be specific for the African situation and what will be more universal. Besides the new business developments still questions of basic economic development are important. The contrast between fast moving industrial developments and the attempts to set up and start (industrial/economic) development will also be part of the focus in this Learning Community. What can we learn about this contrast and about the two developments in itself: Are there specific answers only for Africa?
We will work on these questions and students have to do an African Experience Activity. You can choose from different kind of activities that will help you to come up with interesting elements for the answers.
For: international 3rd year BSc and MSc students, of all degree programmes.
Lecturer(s) involved: Dr. B.J (Bartjan). W. Pennink (coordinator) and Prof. Dr. H (Henk) G. Sol
External businesses involved: Industrial and NGO contacts related to new business (ICT applications, Local Economic Development related, Energy (gas)), the Makerere University in Uganda and the Institute of Finance Management in Tanzania.
Key learning outcomes:
- Knowledge about high-tech business developments
- Learning how to combine knowledge with experiences
- Cultural sensitivity
- Knowledge about entrepreneurship
- Knowledge about how to apply ICT in business situations
- Out of the box/open minded thinking
- Experience with international markets and projects, specifically Africa
- Writing skills
Schedule & Time Investment
- Participating in max. 4 seminars
- Choosing and or working out an African Experience Activity
During the period from April till September we will have a few seminars for discussions and sharing knowledge and experiences. Planning of the meetings is not set yet: this will be defined based on the availability of the eventual participants. Building up an African Experience Activity, each participant has to gain knowledge about the main theme and by choosing one of the following activities:
- GRIP (offered by FEB Careers Company)
- Summer School on the Curse of Natural Gas
- Master class on Ubuntu (only for Honours master) in combination with empirical research based on the offered theories
- Going for an internship in (East) Africa as an extension of the master program for 15 EC
- Going for an internship in the summer period (July-August) not for credits
- An activity in the Netherlands to be developed by the participant (example; interviewing Dutch Entrepreneurs on options for cooperation with African partners)
- Going for the bachelor exchange with IFM in Tanzania
|Laatst gewijzigd:||02 augustus 2017 12:24|