This course is designed for ReMa, PhDs, Postdocs, academic staff members and practitioners with relevant academic background. Participants are expected to have a solid background in business, economics or management studies (at least at the Bachelor level).
It is expected that the participants have a sufficient command of the English language to actively participate in the discussions and to present their own work in English.
Topics will include:
- Introduction to corporate governance and agency theory
- Executive compensation
- Board composition and dynamics
- Board leadership
- Ownership structure and the role of shareholders
- Data and methods in corporate governance research: Dealing with endogeneity
- Comparative corporate governance
- Business elites and top management teams
- Corporate governance research: Using survey data
- Recent trends in corporate governance research
- Presentations of research proposals and papers
The workload is estimated at 40 hours (five days from 9-5 with lectures, workshops, assignments and (paper) presentations).
Participants who attend all sessions and who present a research proposal or paper on Friday will receive a certificate of participation signed by the coordinators of the summer school. Upon request the certificate can mention the workload of 40 hours (28 hours corresponds to 1 ECTS). Students can apply for recognition of these credits to the relevant authorities in their home institutions, therefore the final decision on awarding credits is at the discretion of their home institutions. We will be happy to provide any necessary information that might be requested in addition to the certificate of attendance.
Upon completion of this summer school participants will be able to:
- define and describe the basic elements of a corporate governance system;
- critically assess theories applied in the field of corporate governance;
- explain and discuss the major research approaches in the field of corporate governance;
- describe recent trends and topics in research on corporate governance;
- present, discuss and critically evaluate a paper published in a scientific journal; and
- write and present their own research proposal and/or a research paper.
The fee (€ 650) includes:
- participation in the programme
- course materials
- city tour and welcoming drinks
- dinner on Monday and Thursday evening
- coffee, tea and refreshments
The deadline for application is 1 May 2019.
Please submit the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter
- Own research paper or proposal for presentation (if available)
Questions about this summer school can be sent to Mrs. Astrid Beerta (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please state the name of the summer school in the subject line.
|Last modified:||06 November 2018 4.38 p.m.|