Africa, China and Europe Intensive Programme in Development Studies (ACE)
The ACE Intensive Programme in Development Studies brings together students from Africa, China and Europe with a strong interest in development issues. ACE is an event to learn, interact, and gain field work experience. Our base is the community centre of a highly interesting local development initiative GEPAT in rural settings in Western Tanzania.
Organisation: Mzumbe University in Tanzania and University of Groningen. In collaboration with the Coimbra Group of European Universities.
Key themes of the course are:
- Village-level reforestation
- Local economic development alternatives
- Village life: family, community, culture
- Environment, natural resource management, and GIS applications
- Governance: local, NGO, national
- Population, health, migration
- Group-based fieldwork in selected villages
The international mix of students and staff makes it possible to discuss different approaches to development. Apart from preparatory reading and a final paper (to earn 5 EC), you will learn through lectures, intensive group work, and field work in small groups investigating village life and peasant tree-planting initiatives.
|Date||13 – 25 August 2018|
|Coordinators||Dr. P. Boele (RUG), prof. A. Kamuzora (Mzumbe U.)|
|Fee||€ 350.- (includes food, accommodation, local transport)|
|Last modified:||02 October 2018 1.06 p.m.|