Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Master's Master's international students Financial matters

Student finance (DUO)

As of September 2015 a new student finance system applies to students. The most important rule is the abolition of the basic grant. More information will be published here as soon as possible, or you can find more information on the webpages of DUO

If you are a Dutch national or have the same rights, depending on your residence permit or your nationality, you can apply for student finance. You must be under the age of 30 and registered in full-time or dual education.

Dutch student finance for international students (EU students only!)

If you are an EU/EER national and you have a job for 56 hours per month, then you could be eligible for Dutch Study Finance (Studiefinanciering) or as of September 2015 Study Advance (Studievoorschot). If you have the nationality of an EER-country or Switzerland, you will qualify for student finance if you have been living in the Netherlands for 5 consecutive years or more. Or if you (or your non-Dutch parent or partner) work in the Netherlands for at least 56 hours a month. If you live in the Netherlands but are not a Dutch citizen, it is possible to qualify for student finance from the Dutch government in certain situations.

What is studiefinanciering/studievoorschot?

It is a Dutch study finance paid by the government for Dutch and non-Dutch students. Student finance comprises 3 components: a loan, a student travel product, and a supplementary grant (depending on parental income). You always have to pay back the loan. The student travel product and supplementary grant are converted into a gift if you graduate within 10 years. Otherwise, you will have to repay them as well.

The monthly loan is to help you in your living, such as payment for your room or to cover your daily costs. Studiefinanciering/studievoorschot is issued by DUO. The maximum amount of the loan is approximately € 1.033,- per month. Besides the low-interest rate of the loan, an advantage is that you will also get an OV card so you can travel for free (during the week OR weekends).

How long do I qualify for it?

For a 4-year degree programme (HBO or university) you are entitled to 7 years of student finance. A supplementary grant is only possible for the first 4 years. The student travel product you can get for 5 years.


On the day you apply for Studiefinanciering you have to be between 18 or 30 of age. Also, from January 1st 2014 you must meet the following requirements in order to qualify for student funding:

  • You have the nationality of one of the countries of the EU/EER or Switzerland


  • You work at least 56 hours per month
  • You have been resident in the Netherlands for a minimum of 5 years without a significant break
  • One of your non-Dutch parents has the nationality of an EU/EER country and works in the Netherlands, at least 56 hours a month
  • Your registered partner has the nationality of an EU/EER country and works in the Netherlands, at least 56 hours a month

Apply for studiefinanciering

You can apply for studiefinanciering at the website of DUO.

Need some help? Just contact the Central Student Administration or check our FAQ Ins and Outs

Limited funding

Do you fail to meet the nationality requirements for student finance? You may still qualify for a limited funding towards the payment of your tuition or course fee.

Lifelong Learning Credit


If you are not or no longer eligible for student financing, you might be eligible to borrow money to pay for your tuition or course fees. Starting in the academic year 2017-2018, this "Lifelong learning credit" becomes available for everyone up to the age of 55 who meets the conditions.


  • You are either a full-time or part-time student at HBO or a university, or you are a full-time student at mbo
  • You are doing an officially recognised study programme in The Netherlands.
  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You can also receive lifelong learning credit when your nationality is not Dutch if you have a residence permit type II, III or IV.  
  • Do you, your partner or one of your parents originate from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? Then you will also be eligible.
  • You are not or are no longer eligible to receive student finance.
  • You are younger than 55 when you apply.
  • You are older than 30, or you already have an HBO diploma or a university degree and will now be completing a second higher education study programme.
  • Your tuition fees are not being paid or reimbursed by a 3d party such as your employer.

How and when to apply

Starting in June 2017, you can apply for lifelong learning credit through Mijn DUO.

All information about the Lifelong Learning credit can be found on DUO's website.

Note: Students who do not meet the requirements for the Student Finance or Lifelong Learning Credit are encouraged to look through the Grantfinder for scholarships and loans applicable to them.

Contact information

Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO)


On you will find a list of our offices.


+31 50 599 7 755

If you have a question about studying in the Netherlands, you can call the DUO Information line from Monday-Friday between 09.00 and 17.00 hours (Dutch time).

Are you an international student? Please visit our pages for internationals.

Laatst gewijzigd:09 juli 2020 12:56