Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation

Coronavirus pandemic information for prospective students

Updated 16 July 2021: Education in the new academic year starting September 2021

Is the UG still accepting applications?
Bachelor's degree programme
  • The application deadline for the September 2021 start for bachelor programmes is 1 May 2021.
  • The application deadline for fixed quota studies is 15 January 2021.

    Please check the Selection and Placement page for more information about the appliocation procedure.
Master's degree programme
The coronavirus pandemic may affect my application and enrollment. How should I inform the UG?

Please contact Student Information and Administration via study or by calling: +31 50 36 38004.

I may not be able to satisfy the application criteria. What should I do?

If you have concerns about your application documents, please contact study as soon as possible.

Does the UG accept home assessments arranged by the TOEFL and the GRE?

For all intakes of the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 we accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and TOEFL ITP Plus. Moreover, we accept GRE and GMAT home tests.

Which UG buildings are open?


As from Wednesday 16 December, lectures and seminars, tutorials and exams must in principle be held online. As from Monday 15 March, both vulnerable and non-vulnerable students will be able to reserve study spaces via LibCal. Spaces are available in the University Library and at various other locations, including the Faculties of Behavioural and Social Sciences and Economics and Business/Spatial Sciences, as well as at Oude Boteringestraat 18 (the former public library) Read more on study spaces

Working in the office

Working in the office is possible, however, consultation with the manager in advance and registration is obligatory. The one-and-a-half-metre distancing rule will still apply. The maximum number of people allowed in a room at any one time is clearly stated and we expect people to comply with this rule.

Face masks will no longer be compulsory inside UG buildings as long as the one-and-a-half-metre distancing rule can be observed.

For information about ventilation in UG buildings, see My University.

Health advice
Health advice and corona rules

It is more important than ever that people adhere to the national general corona regulations for limiting the spread of the virus.

All UG buildings are, in principle, closed. The following rules apply to people living in the Netherlands in order to combat the spread of the coronavirus:

  • If you have any symptoms similar to those of COVID-19, please stay at home and get tested at the GGD as soon as possible.
  • Always keep a 1.5-metre distance between one another.
  • Wash or disinfect your hands regularly.
  • Cough and sneeze into your elbow.
  • Do not shake hands.

As from Wednesday 21 October 2020, everyone is required to wear a face mask when moving through UG buildings, or when queueing (for instance at the University Library, the Aletta Jacobs Hall and/or other busy locations). As of 1 December 2020 this is compulsory by law, and not wearing a face mask in a public indoor space is a finable offence in the Netherlands.

Go to for more information.

Infographic Rijksoverheid
Will students be invited for a coronavirus vaccine?

Once you arrive in the Netherlands you will need to register with your local municipality (gemeente in Dutch). Once you are registered, when your age group becomes eligible for the vaccine, you will be automatically invited to receive a vaccination against the coronavirus. You therefore do not need to either have a Dutch passport, or a specific form of health insurance. The vaccine is free, and non-compulsory.

Information about the availability of vaccines for residents of the Netherlands is available here (in Dutch). To find the planned vaccine schedule, you can visit this website. For general information in English about the vaccine programme, see here.

As an international student, am I eligible for a vaccination?

International students who are registered at the municipality (in the BRP) will receive an invitation to make an appointment for a vaccination from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and Environment (RIVM), once their age cohort is due. If you have a BSN and a DigiD, you can also make an appointment online, provided that your age cohort is due.

I wasn’t able to make an appointment. What should I do now?

Students who missed out on the first invitation to make an appointment for a vaccination will receive a new invitation at a later stage. The same counts for students that were not in the Netherlands when the first invitation was sent.

I am not registered at the municipality (in the BRP), am I still eligible for a vaccination?

International students who are registered in the Non Residents Records Database (RNI) and who have granted permission to be informed on the Covid pandemic will receive an invitation through a (two-)weekly mailing from the Dutch government (in various languages). This mailing will contain information regarding the age cohorts that can make an appointment for vaccination and how they are able to do so.

When is it my turn to receive a vaccination?

The vaccination planning depends on a lot of factors. The aim of the Dutch government is that everybody, over the age of 18 and who wants to receive a vaccination, has received the first vaccination around mid-July 2021. This planning can change, for instance when a vaccine is delivered later than planned.

For most students that are not in a risk group, the moment of the first vaccination will probably be mid-June. For people born before 1992, this moment will probably be sooner.

Up-to-date information regarding (when and which vaccine) can be found on the website of the Dutch government .

What are the University's plans for education in the new academic year starting September 2021?

The coronavirus is unfortunately making a rapid comeback with the emergence of the highly contagious delta variant. Numbers are increasing in the city of Groningen as well, and this is leading to questions from students about what the new academic year will look like. We understand that you all have these questions and that you are worried about the situation.

We previously announced that we were aiming to let go of the one-and-a-half-metre distancing rule as much as possible in the new academic year. This will continue to be our aim, even now that the numbers are on the rise. We will of course keep a close eye on the developments and are constantly in contact with the Municipal Health Service (GGD) and the safety region (Veiligheidsregio).

We will have to wait and see how things develop over the coming few weeks and not make any rash decisions, as the situation is simply too volatile. Until then, we are planning our teaching activities in line with the so-called basic scenario laid down by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. This assumes that many of the COVID-19 restrictions will have been relaxed by September. As said, we will closely monitor matters.

How will this work in practice from September?

  • At present, it seems likely that the one-and-a-half-metre distancing rule will have been dropped by September 2021, making in-person teaching possible.
  • The maximum group size will be 75. This means that lectures involving over 75 students will have to be organized online or in hybrid form.
  • On-site teaching activities will be scaled down if the circumstances regarding the virus change. In practice, this will vary per faculty. If the situation arises, some faculties will have to switch to fully online teaching, while others may offer a combination of in-person and online teaching.
  • For more details, keep a close eye on the announcements made by your Faculty or programme.
What if I will have difficulty travelling to the Netherlands to attend classes in the university buildings?

If you anticipate that you will have difficulty coming to the Netherlands, please contact the faculty you have applied to study in.

Open days
Are open days being organised?

Following the success of the Online Bachelor's Week and the Online Master's Week of autumn 2020, the University will be organizing similar events in the Spring of 2021. There will be an Online Master's Week from 22 to 26 March 2021 and a Online Bachelor's Week from 12 t/m 16 April 2021. If possible open days in 2021-2022 will be physical events.

Do I need to quarantine once I have arrived in the Netherlands?

Check the Dutch travel advice for your country (in Dutch only). People coming from countries or areas which are red or orange for health reasons are strongly advised to self-quarantine.

Where do I self-quarantine?

You should quarantine in your accommodation, and as far as possible avoid contact with your housemates during this time. There is no government-controlled quarantine in the Netherlands.

How do I self-quarantine? How is self-quarantine policed? Will I be punished if I breach it?

There is no government-controlled quarantine in the Netherlands, so there are no penalties.

Can I travel by train or bus from Schiphol to Groningen or Leeuwarden even if I am supposed to be in self-quarantine?

You are able to take the train from Schiphol airport, the journey takes just over 2 hours to Groningen or Leeuwarden. Please be aware you are required by law to wear a non-medical face mask in all forms of public transport in the Netherlands.

Although self-quarantine guidance advises against travelling on public transport, this is the final stage of your journey, and is an exception to that rule as the taxi journey will be quite expensive. Once you arrive, you will need to remain in self-quarantine and not use public transport.

You can take a corona-proof taxi from Schiphol to Groningen or Leeuwarden if you feel more comfortable doing that.

Should I plan to come to Groningen or Leeuwarden earlier to do my quarantine before term starts?

This is up to you, depending on your own situation and if this is possible in your case.

Travelling to the Netherlands
Can I travel to the Netherlands?

Please check the official advice for overseas travel requirements, such as the travel advice from the government of your home country. Dutch government advice regarding travel to the Netherlands can be found here:
Travelling to the Netherlands from abroad

I am a non-EU student and I satisfy the admission requirements. How should I apply for a visa?

The deadlines for submission of your visa application and the payment have been relaxed by the Immigration Service Desk (ISD) due to the pandemic. It is imperative that you are in touch with them to keep them updated with your situation, and they will be able to give you dedicated advice based on your individual circumstances. You can contact ISD at isd

UG information about applying for a visa

Last modified:16 July 2021 2.58 p.m.
printView this page in: Nederlands