Studying with an auditory impairment
Auditory impairments such as hearing loss, deafness, tinnitus or hypersensitivity can hinder your study progress. It can make it difficult for you to attend lectures, participate in seminars or complete a placement. The University of Groningen has various arrangements and facilities for students with an auditory impairment.
What are the options?
If you encounter obstacles to studying due to an auditory impairment, we will work with you to overcome these as best we can, for example, by offering the possibility of studying with an interpreter, adapting your study plan or adapting the examination room.
What do you have to take into account?
If an auditory impairment is affecting your studies and causing you to delay your studies and/or to adjust your study plan, you should speak up as soon as possible. Your degree programme’s study advisor can talk to you about creating a realistic study plan or a possible lowering of the BSA threshold. You may also be eligible for additional facilities and/or financial arrangements in the event of a study delay. The student counsellors at the Student Service Centre (SSC) can provide you with information about this. This information can be found on the Student Portal.
What do you need to do?
- If you would like to make use of special examination facilities: please fill in the information tool , to find out which steps you should take to apply for these facilities.
If you expect a study delay or any other kind of problem related to your studies, or in case you experience study delay during the academic year, you should make an appoint with your
in good time.
Inform your study advisor about your circumstances and explain how it is affecting your study progress.
- In the event of a study delay of 15 ECTS or more, as a consequence of your circumstances: make an appointment with the student counsellor in good time. He/she can advise you about possible financial arrangements in the event of a study delay of this extent.
- On the website of the national Handicap & Studie expertise centre, you will find information about various impairments and the impact that they may have on your studies, as well as possible adjustments that can be made.
- The video “Studeren met een auditieve belemmering” is about Leonie, a student who has an auditory impairment.
- Check out the study tips on the Handicap & Studie website.
- The Nederlandse Vereniging voor Slechthorenden (NVVS; Dutch Association for the Hard of Hearing) provides information about various hearing impairments and offers the opportunity to get in touch with others.
- The Nederlandse Vereniging voor Keel-Neus-Oorheelkunde (KNO; Dutch Association for Otorhinolaryngology).
- SH-Jong provides information about hearing impairments in relation to study, work, daily life, going out, sports, etc. SH-Jong also offers opportunities to get in touch with others.
- On HOorzaken, you can find information about hearing.
- On Doof.nl, you can find a broad selection of news and information about hearing loss and hearing problems.
Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.
|Last modified:||26 August 2019 4.44 p.m.|