Postdoctoral Fellowship in Genetics & Genomics (1.0 FTE) (220003)
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential global ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering harbours a kaleidoscope of disciplines and research strengths. Our programmes in research and education range from nanomaterials and biomachinery to astronomy, from mathematics to pharmacy, from neurosciences to computer science, and from molecular and evolutionary biology to engineering and technology.
On top of its track record of research excellence, the Faculty offers a large number of Bachelor’s degree programmes (overseen by our Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering) and Master’s degree programmes (overseen by our Graduate School of Science and Engineering). Nearly all of our Bachelor's (BSc) and Master's degree programmes (MSc) are fully English-taught, thus allowing students from all over the world to follow a degree programme with us.
The FSE Fellowship programme
Our unique FSE fellowship programme offers temporary positions for talented junior researchers who want to further develop both their research and teaching skills. You will have an appointment for four years during which you can do challenging research, have various teaching responsibilities (approximately 30% of the time), and be offered opportunities for training and career orientation.
From the start, you will have a personal Work and Development Plan (WDP) that describes the specific research, teaching and training activities that you will undertake. You will receive didactic training in your first year and have the opportunity to obtain a University Teaching Qualification, in the following years. In addition to the yearly Result and Development Interviews with your supervisors, you will have a yearly meeting with a career counsellor to discuss your career development and plans. A personal budget of a € 1,000 per year is dedicated for additional training and career activities.
We currently offer a fellowship in Genetics & Genomics with a starting date of April 2020.
The research area will be in Genetics & Genomics, preferably in the area of Evolutionary genetics or Comparative and functional genomics. You will teach in the BSc Biology.
The position is embedded in the expertise group Evolutionary Biology, Development & Behaviour of the research institute Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES).
• a PhD, obtained no longer than 3 years ago, preferably from another university than the University of Groningen
• a promising research record
• affinity with teaching; individuals with actual teaching experience will be favoured
• an excellent command of English.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• 0 years: € 3,255 gross per month for a fulltime position
• 1 year: € 3,389 gross per month for a fulltime position
• 2 years € 3,514 gross per month for a fulltime position
• 3 years € 3,637 gross per month for a fulltime position
- 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3%
- initially an appointment of one year that will be extended by 3 years if you perform satisfactorily. The fellowship will not be extended after the four years period. The starting salary is dependent on the date you obtained your PhD and your postdoctoral years.
The University of Groningen provides career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
The preferred starting date is April 2020
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a letter of motivation
• a Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications
• a short description (max 1A4) of your teaching interests (extra attachment 1)
• a short description (max 1A4) of your scientific field of interest (extra attachment 2).
In this stage of the recruitment we do not ask for reference letters.
You can submit your application until 2 February 11:59pm / before 3February 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews are scheduled in week 8 of 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Yvonne Folkers, Coordinator of the FSE Fellowship Programme, Y.Folkers rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.