Tenure Track Assistant Professorship in Econometrics (1.0 FTE) (219517)
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, has a strong focus on research. We are in the top 100 of several influential university ranking lists. The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 7,000 students. It has an international reputation and is AACSB and EQUIS accredited. We are passionate about research and offer research driven education within four Bachelor programs, fifteen Master programs, and three Executive Master programs. Many of these programs belong to the top 3 in the Netherlands. Please visit the FEB website; see http://www.rug.nl/feb for more information about the Faculty, its teaching programs and its research.
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance is an active and international research community, performing at the highest international level in terms of research and publications. Central research themes are among other things: (applied and theoretical) econometrics, finance, banking, insurance, health, ageing and pensions, macroeconomics, behavioral and experimental economics, and industrial organization.
The Faculty is responsible for courses in several bachelor, master and PhD programs in Economics, Business Economics, Finance, and Econometrics.
We are seeking a highly motivated full-time Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Econometrics. We are particularly interested if you are working in the field of financial and/or theoretical econometrics.
You have excellent teaching skills. You are expected to contribute to the courses in the BSc and MSc programs offered by the Department. You participate in the teaching of both graduate and undergraduate courses, in particular in the fields of Econometrics and Statistics. Moreover, you are involved in the supervision of bachelor and master theses.
You also have the ability to conduct original research and to publish in high-ranked international journals. You have a track record of high-quality internationally recognized academic research in the field of Econometrics. The scope of your research can be broad and may include topics such as high-dimensional statistics, time series analysis, panel data models, weak instruments, etcetera.
Research time is allocated according to standardized faculty procedures, which guarantee 50 per cent of time for research during the tenure track period.
We encourage you to apply if you meet the next qualifications:
• a PhD in Econometrics
• experience in the above mentioned research field of (Financial) Econometrics
• excellent writing skills
• a strong interest in publishing in top tier econometrics, finance and economics journals
• a promising and relevant research record
• the potential to generate external funding for research projects
• teaching experience, preferably in Econometrics
• proven interest and/or ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level, and in mentoring students
• a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or the willingness to obtain this qualification; and
• a social, positive and dedicated attitude.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (salary scale 11)
- 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants
- 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full time employment.
Our tenure track positions are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision. In the third year of the appointment, an intermediate evaluation will take place. On the basis of a positive final evaluation in the sixth year of employment, the candidate will be granted tenure. The tenure track system is a career path that, when completed successfully, leads to a full professorship.
We expect candidates to start by August or September 2020
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. A motivation letter
2. A complete curriculum vitae
3. At least two letters of recommendation (to be sent by email to e.t.jelsema rug.nl)
4. One self-selected “best paper”
5. Teaching evaluations.
In your motivation letter, please indicate whether you will be available for interviews at the job market of EEA (December 2019, Rotterdam) and/or whether you are available for a Skype interview.
Please submit your application for this position until 21 November 23:59pm / before 22 November 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website)
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Niels Hermes, c.l.m.hermes rug.nl
- Prof. Rob Alessie, r.j.m.alessie rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.