Tenure Track Assistant Professorship in Actuarial Science (1.0 FTE) (219507)
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, has a strong focus on research. We are in the top 100 of several influential university ranking lists. The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 7,000 students. We have an international reputation and are AACSB and EQUIS accredited. We offer research driven education within 4 bachelor programs, 15 master programs, and 3 executive master programs. Many of these programs belong to the top 3 in The Netherlands. Please visit the FEB website: https://www.rug.nl/feb for more information about us and our research.
We are seeking a highly motivated full-time tenure track Assistant Professor of Actuarial Science within the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance.
The Department is an active and international research community, performing at the highest international level in terms of research and publications. Central research themes include: (applied) econometrics, finance, banking, insurance, health, ageing and pensions, behavioral and experimental economics, and industrial organization.
We are responsible for courses in several bachelor, master and doctoral programs in Economics, Business Economics, Finance, and Econometrics.
You are expected to do independent research and have teaching and supervising responsibilities. You conduct high quality, original research and publish in high-ranked international journals. Your time for research is allocated according to standardized faculty procedures, which guarantee 50% time for research during the tenure track period. As a lecturer, you contribute to the courses in the BSc program Econometrics and Operations Research and the MSc program Econometrics, Operations Research & Actuarial Studies, including the supervision of bachelor’s and master’s theses.
• You hold a PhD in Actuarial Science or another relevant field
• You are an expert in the above mentioned fields demonstrated by the ability (or the potential) to publish in the top-tier international academic peer-reviewed journals
• You are interested in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
• You have a track record of outstanding academic research and are internationally recognized; you are looking for innovative research and a challenging outlook for the future, which takes into account the international research landscape in your field of specialization
• You have the potential to generate external funding for research projects and you are organized and communicate well.
Conditions of employment
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we offer:
• a salary with a minimum of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position for an assistant professor, depending on qualifications and work experience
• an 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants; and
• 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full time employment.
Our tenure track positions are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision. In the third year of the appointment, an intermediate evaluation will take place. On the basis of a positive final evaluation in the sixth year of employment, the candidate will be granted tenure. The tenure track system is a career path that, when completed successfully, leads to a full professorship.
We expect you to start as soon as possible.
Do you meet the qualifications? Then, please send your application, accompanied by the following documents:
1. A motivation letter
2. A complete curriculum vitae
3. Three letters of recommendation (to be sent to Mrs. Ellie Jelsema, email e.t.jelsema rug.nl); and
4. One self-selected “best paper” and a short statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals.
In your motivation letter, please indicate whether you will be available for interviews at the job markets of EEA (December 2019, Rotterdam) and/or whether you are available for a Skype interview.
You can submit your application until 21 November 23:59pm / before 22 November 2019 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Women are under-represented in our faculty, therefore they are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Niels Hermes, Head of the Department, c.l.m.hermes rug.nl
- Prof. Laura Spierdijk, Program Director BSc EOR, l.spierdijk rug.nl
- Prof. Rob Alessie, Research Director, r.j.m.alessie rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.