Tenure Track Assistant Professor IE / IPE (0.8-1.0 FTE) (219446)
The Department of Global Economics & Business is an active and international research group, consisting of approximately 80 people. We work in theoretical as well as applied research. Central research themes are, among other topics, International Economics, International Business, Economic Growth and Development, Economic Geography, and International Comparisons of Management Practices. Approximately 40% of staff members and more than 80 per cent of our PhD students are non-Dutch. We have published in a wide range of top journals, such as the American Economic Review, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Economics, and the Journal of Economic Geography, and contributed to policy reports of international organisations.
We have two three-year bachelor programmes, namely the BSc Economics & Business-Economics, and the BSc International Business. In addition, we are also responsible for two one-year MSc programmes: the MSc in Economic Development and Globalization, and the MSc in International Business & Management. Our BSc and MSc programmes are taught in English. We participate in the selective honours programme for BSc students, as well as the challenging two-year Research Master programme, which is intended for students aiming at a PhD.
We are looking for a tenure track assistant professor that fits the research profile of our department of International Economics or International Business (or a combination).
You will have the ability to conduct high quality, creative research in the areas of interest to the department and publish your work in high-ranked international journals. You will work in a dynamic academic environment with excellent research facilities.
Based on the standardized faculty procedures, you will devote 50 percent of your contractual hours on research during your tenure track period.
In regard to teaching, you will contribute to courses in the Bachelors of Science (BSc) and Masters of Science (MSc) programmes offered by the department, including the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses. Moreover, you will contribute to the highly selective two-year research master. You are expected to have management qualities, show leadership skills and to be able to provide motivation and supervision.
• a PhD in International Economics, International Business
• an expertise in the above mentioned field proven by the ability (or the potential) to publish in the top-tier international academic peer-reviewed journals
• a proven interest and ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
• an international network
• a good interpersonal skills and ability to work individually and with a team
• organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
• potential to generate an external funding for research projects.
Tenure track positions at the Faculty of Economics and Business are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision after six years. Formal tenure track requirements include criteria with respect to research prominence, teaching and external fund-raising activities. During this period, 50% is for research and 50% for teaching (this is including the preparation time). We refer the applicants to the criteria for the Tenure Track system (for a complete description see: https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/work-with-us/job-opprtunities/2014-10-tenure-track-eng.pdf)
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 (scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (scale 12) gross salary per month for a full-time position as Assistant Professor
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
• minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment
• favorable tax treatment may apply to Non-Dutch applicants.
You will get an initial appointment for a period of seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The seventh year is to compensate for any ‘life events’ (e.g. parental leave) which might take place during the first six years. Based on a positive final evaluation in the sixth year, you will receive a tenured position at Associate Professor level.
The Tenure Track system is a career path which, if followed successfully, will lead to a full professorship.
We expect you to start by August 2020.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. A motivation letter
2. A curriculum vitae
3. One self-selected “best paper” and three letters of recommendation
4. Teaching evaluations (if available) and a short statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals
You may apply for this position until 31 October 11.59pm / before 1 November 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen is an equal opportunities employer. Because women are still under-represented in a number of fields, they are particularly encouraged to apply.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.