Biological Chemistry PhD: Single-molecule enzymology with nanoprores (2.0 FTE) (219441-42)
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 31,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global center of knowledge.
Two PhD positions investigating the physical and chemical properties of nanopores are available in the laboratory of Prof. Giovanni Maglia in the department of Chemistry and Biotechnology of the University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
Biological nanopores are an exciting new class of biosensors, which main practical application is in single-molecule sequencing and single-molecule analysis. We are looking for talented and motivated students that are willing to engage in a PhD program to study enzymes at the single molecule level.
Small enzymes will be immobilized inside a biological nanopore by various methods (e.g genetically, via disulfide bridge, by click chemistry or by non-covalent interactions). The conformational changes associated with catalysis will then be observed by the altered ionic flow through the nanopore.
- you have a Masters Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology or equivalent
- you have Expertise in molecular biology (recombinant DNA techniques, protein expression and purification), chemical modification of proteins or peptides, MD simulations will be an advantage, but not a limiting factor.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,325 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the fourth and final year
- a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- minimum of 29 holidays and additional 12 holidays in case of full-time employment.
The preferred starting date is as soon as possible.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
- cover letter
You can submit your application until 1 October 11.59pm / before 2 October 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr Giovanni Maglia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.