Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Marketing (0.8-1.0 FTE) (219327)
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 31,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. University of Groningen ranks among the top research universities in Europe.
Within the Department of Marketing (Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Groningen, The Netherlands), a position is vacant for a tenure track Assistant Professor in Marketing.
The Department of Marketing is one of the leading marketing groups in Europe. The department is responsible for courses in marketing for students in bachelor and master programmes at the Faculty of Economics and Business. In addition, the department participates in the research master programme, a challenging 2-year master programme intended for students aiming at a PhD. Scientific research is concentrated in the research programme Marketing (part of the research school SOM), which obtained very high ratings in national research evaluations. Moreover, contract research is conducted within the Customer Insights Center, which forms a bridge between science and practice in the field of customer insights. In 2017, we hosted the EMAC annual conference.
Currently, the department has an opening for a tenure track position at the assistant professor level. The new tenure-track Assistant Professor is expected to strengthen the position of the Department of Marketing. Therefore, we seek candidates who are committed to excellence in research and teaching. You have a proven ability or potential to conduct high quality, original research in areas of interest to the department and you will publish your work in international top marketing journals.
Research time is 50% during the tenure track period and afterwards allocated according to regular faculty procedures (comparable to US research schools). With your excellent teaching you will participate in and contribute to the educational programmes of the Department of Marketing. Specific educational tasks will depend on your expertise.
- you have a PhD in Marketing or a related discipline
- you are an excellent researcher and author of publications in international top journals in the area of Marketing or a related discipline
- you have excellent teaching skills
- you have a relevant international academic network
- you have organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
- you have active involvement in obtaining external funding for research projects
- you have good interpersonal skills and ability to work individually and with a team.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full-time position
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
- a full-time position at the level of Assistant Professor, but 80% or 90% is possible as well.
A fiscal facility pertaining to extraterritorial costs, the 30% facility, may be applicable if the rules of Dutch tax law permit this.
You will have 328 hours of leave per year for a full-time position.
You will get an initial appointment for a period of seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The seventh year is intended to compensate for any ‘life events’ (e.g. prolonged illness or parental leave) which might take place during the first six years.
Based on a positive final evaluation at the beginning of the sixth year, tenure will be granted. Tenure entails a permanent contract and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor. The tenure track system is a career path which, if followed successfully, leads to a full professorship.
Representatives of the Department of Marketing will interview candidates during the EMAC annual conference in Hamburg and the AMA Summer Marketing Educators’ Conference. Next, a number of candidates will be invited to present a job market seminar in Groningen, in the fall of 2019.
You may apply for this position until 7 July 11.59pm / before 8 July 2019 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interested applicants should submit:
1. a motivation letter
2. a complete curriculum vitae
3. two letters of recommendation
4. samples of relevant work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Tammo H.A. Bijmolt (Head of the Marketing Department), email@example.com
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.