Associate Professor Middle Eastern Studies (1.0 FTE) (219306)
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 30,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Being among the best research universities in Europe, and working alongside prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international centre of knowledge.
The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. With more than 5,000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every day. The Faculty offers a wide range of degree programmes: 16 Bachelor’s (BA) programmes and over 40 Master’s (MA) tracks. Our research, which is internationally widely acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Cultural Studies, History, International Relations, Journalism, Language and Literary Studies, and Linguistics. For more information, visit our website at: http://www.rug.nl/let/
The Bachelor and Master programmes in Middle Eastern Studies are multidisciplinary degree programmes – wide-ranging, dynamic and unique in the Netherlands. The Bachelor programme combines learning Modern Standard Arabic or Modern Israeli Hebrew at a high level with academic training comprising the study and application of the most important themes and issues regarding the Middle East. The one-year Master programme focuses on the themes of conflict and international relations in the modern Middle East. The yearly influx of freshmen is about 30 students for the Bachelor’s and about 15 for the Master programme. The chair group consists of a professor and 4 permanent (young) staff members as well as sometimes a temporary member and/or a PhD candidate.
The success of both the Bachelor and Master programme and growing student numbers enable the Department of Middle Eastern Studies of the University of Groningen to hire an Associate Professor (Dutch: ‘Universitair Hoofddocent’) for a period of five years, with the prospect of a tenured position and promotion to full professor in due time.
We are looking for candidates with expertise in a range of Middle East related fields, preferably (but not limited to):
- Politics in the contemporary Middle East
- Cultural and literary aspects of the Middle East
- The Arab world in relation to Israel, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and/or the Gulf region
Although candidates with expertise in the above fields have a competitive advantage, the position is open to candidates with a wide range of educational and research interests as well as theoretical and methodological expertise in Middle Eastern Studies. Candidates should be able to teach courses in Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic language on the BA and MA level, and contribute to our research programme. The position combines teaching and administrative tasks (60%) and research (40%).
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD in the field of Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic Language and Culture or any other closely related discipline
• a track record of outstanding, internationally recognized research, with publications in leading journals in this field
• an outstanding international network
• demonstrated the ability to acquire external research funding and supervise/co-supervise PhD theses
• leadership qualities as evidenced, for instance, by PhD supervision, team coordination and administrative tasks
• demonstrated excellent teaching skills and the ability to play a role in curriculum development; successfully followed relevant didactic courses
• the ability to cooperate and work within a team
• good English language skills (C1 level of the CEFR) and a good knowledge of Dutch, either as native speaker or learning this language to B2 level of the CEFR within two years
• the willingness to take up residence in or near the city of Groningen (within two years).
• make a strong and inspiring contribution to the teaching programmes in Middle Eastern Studies (including its development), at BA, MA and PhD levels
• (co-)supervise PhD theses
• coordinate and conduct research in the field
• acquire external funding for research
• perform administrative and organizational duties within and potentially outside the Faculty.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary that ranges from € 5,039 (salary scale 13) up to a maximum of € 6,738 (scale 14) per month for a full-time position
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• an employee pension scheme
• paid parental leave
• a full-time (1.0 FTE) Tenure Track position leading to full professor.
For more information about our Tenure Track career path please see following brochure: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/career-opportunities/tenuretrackpolicymemorandum2017.pdf
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include the following PDF files:
1. The first file includes a letter of motivation
2. The second file includes a CV with a list of five self-selected best papers or publications, the complete list of publications and the names and contact details of three referees
3. The third file includes a brief description of scientific interests and plans; a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total). This can beup loaded under ‘extra document’ on the website
4. The fourth file includes an appropriate writing sample. This can be loaded under ‘extra document’ on the website A trial lecture is part of the standard procedure.
You can submit your application until 27 June 11.59pm / before 28 June 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We acknowledge that talented prospective staff often have talented spouses or partners who also wish to further their Careers therefore we offer Dual-Career Support https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/dual-career-support/
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. W.J. van Bekkum, +31 50 36335818, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.