Brakman, Prof. Steven
Steven Brakman is professor of international economics. He studied economics at the University of Groningen and became a professor there in 2003. ‘The term globalization appeals to the imagination more than “international economics”’, according to Brakman. ‘But in fact globalization is one of the areas where international economics can be applied. We use the knowledge, ideas and models to study the consequences of globalization: the world supposedly getting smaller.’ Brakman is often invited to discussions, by anti-globalists too, about the pros and cons of globalization. ‘Great fun, as these groups tend to have the fiercest discussions,’ he says. ‘They are wrong, however. The main misconceptions are that globalization is something new, is developing rapidly and is resulting in exploitation. Globalization has always been there, and exploitation has other causes, such as domestic technological progress.’
One of the topics Brakman is working on is the development and application of international trade theory. ‘Why are there not only huge differences between countries, but also between regions within countries? Why is the Randstad one big conurbation while the North is so empty? We examine which company behaviours lead to the development of conurbations. The old models assume that all companies behave in the same way. It has recently been shown that differences between companies in fact lead to specific settlement patterns.’
Brakman is regularly hired as an expert business consultant. He also publishes frequently on the economists site Me Judice.
- Is stimuleren Groningse economie zinvol? (Dutch; Nieuwsuur, 10 maart 2014)
- Brakman over ethisch bankieren (Dutch; Nieuwsuur, 29 maart 2012)
Previously in the news
- Oh My Trump! What to expect by 2021?
- 'This crisis proofs the need for more European integration'
- WTO agreement not very impressive (Brakman in NOS news, 7 december 2013)
- Do economic models need real people? (Brakman on FEBlog)
- ‘Crisis: geluk bij een ongeluk?’ [Crisis: a blessing in disguise?] (De Volkskrant)
- Brakman Professor of International Economics
Contact and further information
|Last modified:||09 September 2019 3.08 p.m.|