Seminar: The International Classroom – the next steps
|When:||Fr 21-11-2014 13:00 - 17:00|
|Where:||Bernoulliborg, Faculty of Science and Engineering (Nijenborgh 9)|
What is an international classroom? What makes a program international? How to use the diversity of our staff and students as a resource? How to adjust our policies to realize our vision on internationalization?
These questions, and many more, have been studied in the International Classroom (IC)-project since it started in April 2013. This seminar presents you with the overarching IC-framework developed from the three pilot projects and the results of the last pilot, undertaken at the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Next, we look ahead and discuss how the international classroom fits into the broader educational strategy of the University of Groningen, and how it can be linked to Learning Communities. Finally, we learn how to implement the first results at the RUG-organization.
The seminar will be chaired by Rector Magnificus Elmer Sterken and includes plenary presentations, a wide choice of workshops and a panel discussion. There will be plenty of time for discussions and informal meetings. Topics are of particular interest to teachers, program coordinators, management, course designers, administrative staff and students. Whilst the seminar is primarily intended for RUG-staff and -students, it is also open to interested external relations.
Time : Friday 21 November 2014, from 13.00 – 17.00, with lunch starting at 12.00 and drinks starting at 17.00
Location : Bernoulliborg, Faculty of Science and Engineering (Nijenborgh 9)
12.00 – 13.00: buffet lunch, informal gathering
13.00 – 14.30: plenary presentations (room 5161.0151)
- Welcome and introduction, next steps for the IC project, link with RUG educational strategy and recent mission to USA (Rector) – max. 15 minutes
- Presentation of pilot project results and follow-up for bachelor programmes in Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (professor Jos Roerdink) – max. 30 minutes
- Presentation and follow-up of last year’s pilot at Faculty of Medical Sciences and intended use of developed over-arching IC framework (professor Nico Bos) – max. 15 minutes
- ‘Learning Communities = Learning + Communities’. Presentations of highlights and follow-up of RUG mission on educational strategy to USA - (Hans Beldhuis, Koos Winnips and Jessica Vogelzang) – max. 20 minutes
- Presentation of RUG project on learning communities (to be started) (professor Jan Borleffs) – max. 10 minutes
14.30 – 15.00: Coffee/tea break
15.00 – 16.00: workshops
- The International Classroom, what’s next. From the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Professor Jos Roerdink (room 5161.0162).
- Is the International Classroom ideal for creating a learning community. From the Faculty of Medical Sciences. Professor Nico Bos (room 5161.0280).
- Interaction in the International Classroom, how to make it purposeful. From IC project staff member Dr. Kevin Haines (room 5161.0222).
- How to make learning outcomes international and intercultural. With external expert Dr. Jos Beelen (Amsterdam) and IC project staff member drs. Catherine Meissner (room 5161.0289).
- How to use the IC framework for teachers in practice. Department of staff development (ESI) (room 5161.0293).
- How to facilitate integration, inside and outside of the international classroom. Student Service Centre (room 5161.0165).
- RUG language/culture policy, what does it mean for staff and students, what are the next steps. Language Centre (room 5161.0267)
- ‘I store my knowledge in my friends’. Increasing participation via (social) media. Dr. Koos Winnips (ESI) (room 5161.0253).
16.00 – 16.15: short break
16.15 – 17.00: panel discussion (room 5161.0151)
Panel discussion with feedback from all workshops, and workshop leaders participating in the panel. Chaired by Rector Magnificus Elmer Sterken. Involvement of audience in discussion stimulated through submitting issues and questions in “twitter fountain” (#ICseminar) and on paper throughout the seminar.
17.00 – 18.00: drinks
To register for the seminar and one of the workshops, please follow this link: https://survey.webhosting.rug.nl/index.php?sid=82154