Assistant Professor Circular Economy (0.8 FTE) (V23.0627)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to find sustainable solutions for major social problems.
The “Sustainable Entrepreneurship in a Circular Economy” (SECE) Department is hiring a new assistant professor in circular economy. The position includes 60% for teaching (3 to 4 courses in the master sustainable entrepreneurship and supervision of approximately 8-10 master student final projects) and 40% for research (including co-supervision of PhD researchers).
The Department is intrinsically motivated to make sustainable entrepreneurship and the transition to a circular economy successful (www.rug.nl/cf/cse). Collaboration with Frisian and regional stakeholders is key. The department offers a MSc program in sustainable entrepreneurship, supervises 5-7 PhDs and published the DeGruyter Handbook of Sustainable Entrepreneurship Research. Recently, the Department has successfully developed a new grant of 15M for regenerative farming – one of the keys in circular economy.
The position is open to scholars and practitioners from different domains. The circular economy is an interdisciplinary topic with business, technical, social, governance, and psychological dimensions. The Department welcomes applications from intrinsically motivated persons that have experience with research and teaching on the topic of circular economy. The successful applicant is required to teach in the MSc program Sustainable Entrepreneurship. Given that we directly collaborate with Frisian/regional stakeholders, fluency in Dutch is a strict requirement while sufficient English language competencies are needed to work in an academic environment. For an assistant professorship, a (nearly completed PhD degree is a requirement. Applicants without a PhD degree but with relevant working experience are also invited to apply – for which the formal position will be teacher (docent).
Applicants have (a selection of) the following qualifications for this position:
- relevant research and teaching experience on the topic of circular economy
- the ability to teach courses and supervise projects in the master Sustainable Entrepreneurship
- the ability to actively engage with Frisian/regional stakeholders
- a fluency in Dutch (native speaking level)
- the ability to communicate in English at academic levels
- a (nearly) completed PhD in a relevant discipline and/or relevant work experience.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a minimum salary of € 4,332 (salary scale 11, assistant professor 2) up to a maximum of € 5,929 (salary scale 11, assistant professor 2) gross per month
- a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%
- a position with a 60-40 percent distribution with regard to teaching-research. The appointment will be made for an initial fixed term period of 18 months, with the possibility for a permanent appointment upon positive evaluation.
The starting date for this position is January/February 2024
Applications should include:
- a letter of motivation
- a curriculum vitae
- contact information of two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
You may apply for this position until 7 November 11:59pm / before 8 November 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews are scheduled in November 2023.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Gjalt de Jong, Head of the SECE Department, g.de.jong rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.