Application Full-Stack Software Developer (0.8-1.0 FTE) (V23.0571)
The Center for Information Technology (CIT) of the University of Groningen (RUG) is the most prominent university center in the Netherlands in the field of information and communication technology. With over 300 employees, CIT manages the necessary IT facilities and supporting processes for more than 36,000 students and 7,500 employees of the RUG, which ranks among the top 100 universities worldwide.
CIT supports and facilitates scientific research and university education with innovative data and IT solutions, consultancy, and training. Our mission is "Education and research, supported by innovative and reliable IT". The CIT works in a customer-oriented way with 22 self-organizing teams in four domains: Education, Research, Organizational Systems, and Infrastructure, to contribute to the strategic objectives of the RUG. Our core values are respect, collegiality, together, fun, openness, and commitment.
Do you want to contribute to the development of a data management system for scientific research and be part of a national and international user group? Are you looking for a challenging and meaningful position within an inspiring and innovative environment? Then this position at the Center for Information Technology of the University of Groningen is perfect for you!
Where are you going to work?
As a full-stack software developer you will become part of the Research Domain in the CIT and work within the Research Data Management System (RDMS) team.
The RUG RDMS backend is based on iRODS which is an open-source data management software that supports collaborative research effectively. iRODS is data-grid middleware that virtualizes access to data regardless of which physical device the data is stored on.
The RUG RDMS aims to provide a number of key functionalities and solutions to support the research data lifecycle, including storing raw data and long-term archiving of research data in compliance with the FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) principles.
As a full-stack software developer you will contribute to the development and enhancement of our research data management system. In addition, you will work closely with an enthusiastic team of developers, IT colleagues and scientists.
What are you going to do?
- Develop new functionalities in the RUG RDMS system. Support the current functionality and bug fixing when needed. Participate in continuous evolution of the system according to the user requirements, technical needs and challenges
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to design, develop, and maintain our research data management system
What do we expect from you?
- Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Systems.
- strong proficiency in Python and experience with Flask and Django frameworks.
- basic understanding of Java principles.
- ability to write efficient SQL queries for PostgreSQL or similar RDBMS.
- bonus: Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes for deployment automation.
- bonus: Experience with Vue.js and implementation of complex components.
- bonus: Familiarity with Kafka, Protobuf, or other message bus systems.
- bonus: Proficiency in Git or similar version control systems at the API level.
- bonus: Knowledge of the iRODS system or its components.
- bonus: Solid understanding of IT infrastructure, including NGINX load balancing and REST (or REST-like APIs).
- excellent command of English and/or Dutch, both written and verbal.
- An application full-stack software developer with the focus on frontend but with knowledge or experience of backend development
- A team player with the ability to take and complete independent tasks
- Familiar with Agile working and the scrum framework
Conditions of employment
We offer in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on education and experience, a salary up to a maximum of € 5,929 (scale 11) gross per month for a full-time position (38 hours). Depending on experience, a starting salary (scale 10) may apply
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% End-of-year bonus on the annual gross income.
- a 5% labor market allowance may be a possibility
- a temporary employment contract for 1 year that will be converted to an employment contract for an indefinite period after 1 year, subject to satisfactory performance and depending on organizational developments
- attractive secondary employment conditions such as the Choice Model Employment Conditions and a good pension and leave scheme
For this position, a Certificate of Good Conduct (CoC) is required.
Start date: as soon as possible.
You may apply for this position by sending your application letter accompanied by a curriculum vitae until 8 October 11:59pm / before 9 October 2023 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Burcu Beygu, Product Owner, burcu.beygu rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.