Assistant Professor of Climate and Data Studies (1 FTE) (V23.0156)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues. Technology and data related issues represent a fast-growing aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities, located in the European Capital of Culture 2018. The Campus’ motivated staff values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Programme coordination and teaching
Within Campus Fryslân, you will have a key role in doing research, pursuing engagement activities and teaching and coordinating courses in the major Energy, Ecology and Climate (formerly known as the Resposible Planet Major) and Data Track of the bachelor programme Global Responsibility and Leadership. GRL is a highly regarded programme, as evidenced by high rankings in Dutch Higher Education Guide. This teaching programme is highly innovative, stimulates teaching innovation and excellence and involves collaboration with stakeholders and societal partners. The programme also has a strong emphasis on digital skills, responsible use of data, and leadership development. The position has a profile of 60% teaching and 40% research.
With regard to research, you will be part of the Knowledge Infrastructures Department at Campus Fryslân, and join an interdisciplinary team whose core concern is to develop knowledge infrastructures that can contribute to sustainability and liveable futures. The KI department participates in a range of international research projects and actively contribute to the development of novel research practices around data in the areas of ecology, climate change and sustainable energy among others. Membership of the Data Research Centre is also an option. Supervision of bachelor theses, of Living Labs and student advisement are also part of this position. Co-supervisions of PhD projects are also possible, depending on affinity and team composition.
Campus Fryslân invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of assistant professor of Climate and Data. Specifically, you will be teaching the following courses, from foundation to upper level: Earth System, Climate Data and Services, Introduction to Sustainable Energy Transition and Data Science and Causal Inference.
The position is particularly suited for someone with clear interest in interdisciplinary approaches to climate and data, with a desire to shape the future of climate data expertise and possessing infrastructural imagination.
The following qualifications are important for the candidate who will fulfill this position:
• a PhD in Climate-related discipline, Data Science, Science and Technology Studies, or a comparable domain;
• ability to develop and teach the courses listed above from an interdisciplinary and critical perspective
• affinity with STS work in the area of climate and data and experience with transdisciplinary research projects;
• ability to function well in an interdisciplinary academic environment;
• research interests in the area of climate, data and knowledge production
• an international and proactive outlook fitting a dynamic organisation;
• excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills.
• command of the Dutch Language at CEFR B2-level or prepared to obtain this within two years
• in possession of an University Teaching Qualification or prepared to obtain this within two years.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a minimum salary of €3,974 (salary scale 11.0, assistant professor 2) up to a maximum of € 5,439 (salary scale 11.max, assistant professor 2) gross per month.
- an holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%
- an appointment for an initial fixed term period of 18 months, with the possibility for a permanent appointment upon positive evaluation. The position has a 60-40 percent distribution with regard to teaching-research.
The starting date for this position is August 2023.
Applications should include:
1) a letter of motivation
2) a curriculum vitae
3) a teaching statement
4) email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
You may apply for this position until 16 April 11:59pm / before 17 April 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Anne Beaulieu (for more information about this position), j.a.beaulieu rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.