Tenure Track Assistant Professors in Marketing (V23.0145)
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) empowers and connects students, academics and external stakeholders to have a joint positive impact on regional, national and global economic and business challenges in science and society. It is our mission to offer excellent education and to execute excellent and impactful research. We therefore aim to attract talented staff and invest in them by providing clear career paths.
Within the Department of Marketing (Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Groningen, The Netherlands), two full-time positions (0.8-1.0 FTE) are vacant for a tenure track Assistant Professor (or Associate Professor) in Marketing, with a focus on Marketing Strategy, Marketing Analytics and Data Science, and/or Consumer Behavior.
The Department of Marketing is one of the highly regarded and productive marketing groups in Europe. The department is responsible for courses in marketing for students in Bachelor and Master programs – in particular on Marketing Management, and Marketing Analytics & Data Science – at the Faculty of Economics and Business. In addition, the department participates in the Research Master program, a challenging 2-year Master program intended for students aiming at a PhD.
The quality and productivity of the department is evidenced by the very high ratings it consistently obtains in research evaluations. The RUG Customer Insights Center and the Groningen Digital Business Center that are affiliated with the department form a bridge between science and practice, translating into collaboration and data collection opportunities for department members.
The new tenure track Assistant Professors are expected to strengthen the position of the Department of Marketing. Given the current balanced composition of the department, we welcome applications from candidates in all three sub-disciplines of Marketing: Marketing Strategy, Quantitative Marketing, and Consumer Behavior.
In general, we seek candidates who are committed to excellence in both research and teaching. You have a proven ability (or potential) to conduct high quality, original research in areas of interest to the department, and you aim to publish your work in international top marketing journals. Research time is 50% during the tenure track period. Afterwards, it is allocated according to regular faculty procedures (comparable to US research schools). With your excellent teaching you will participate in and contribute to the educational programs of the Department of Marketing, with a focus on Marketing Management, but also Marketing Analytics and Data Science. Specific educational tasks will depend on the expertise and experience of the candidate.
To qualify, you…
• have PhD degree in Marketing or a related discipline
• are an excellent researcher and author of publications in international top journals
• have a relevant international academic network
• have excellent teaching skills: you are an enthusiastic and effective lecturer, have knowledge of empirical methods, didactics, and understanding of teaching and assessment methods
• have a University Teaching Qualification or are willing to obtain this qualification
• have organizational qualities and excellent communication skills
• have good interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully work both individually and in a team.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience, starting from a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a fulltime position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance, as well as participation in a pension scheme for employees. For employees moving to The Netherlands, a fiscal facility pertaining to extraterritorial costs, the 30% facility, may be applicable if the rules of Dutch tax law permit this. Finally, a fulltime position will entitle you to 328 hours of leave per year.
In the current policy, you will get an initial appointment for a period of seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The University of Groningen is currently developing a new policy regarding the Tenure Track. The new proposed policy does not change the timeline and criteria for promotion after six years, but the tenure decision will be taken after 18 months. The vacancy comprises a fulltime position at the level of Assistant Professor, but an 0.8 or 0.9 FTE appointment is possible as well, based on the preferences of the candidate.
Starting date of the position is negotiable, but we foresee that it starts between September 2023 and September 2024
Interested applicants should submit:
1. a motivation letter
2. a curriculum vitae
3. two letters of recommendation
4. samples of relevant work.
You may apply for this position until 30 March 11:59pm / before 31 March 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Tammo H.A. Bijmolt, Head of the Marketing Department, t.h.a.bijmolt rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.