Technician Mass Spectrometry (1.0 FTE) (222760)
The Analytical Biochemistry (AB) group is looking for an experienced technician in the field of analytical chemistry who is particularly acquainted with mass spectrometry (MS). The AB research group is part of the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP) and is a dynamic, multidisciplinary group of researchers stemming from the fields of (computational) MS, proteomics and metabolomics. AB is housed in the ERIBA building at the UMCG campus and embeds the Interfaculty Mass Spectrometry Center (IMSC), which is a joint research facility of GRIP and UMCG. AB and IMSC share a well-equipped laboratory with 15 high-end mass spectrometers, primarily hyphenated with LC platforms. There is a well-equipped research infrastructure in place to perform MS-based proteomics and metabolomics, including sample preparation, handling and the analysis of MS data. AB participates in many interdisciplinary research projects, ranging from a fundamental towards a clinical perspective, with a specific focus on biomarker discovery and validation. The AB group has workflows in place to enable the analysis of data from various omics fields such as proteomics, phosphoproteomics, lipidomics and metabolomics, use a variety of mass spectrometry based technological platforms (LC-MS and mass spectrometry imaging) and investigate a wide variety of samples such as different types of cancer tissue, lung tissue, microbiological samples, blood and urine.
The technician will be employed at AB under supervision of Prof. Peter Horvatovich and will support the work of various principal investigators (PI), including a new PI to be hired on the subject of mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) and Dr Guinevere Langeveen-Kammeijer performing research in glycoproteomics and single cell proteomics. Furthermore, the technician will support research activities, infrastructure maintenance, contribute to method development at the IMSC directed by Dr Hjalmar Permentier and will contribute to the development and maintenance of data analysis (ICT) infrastructure of the AB/IMSC.
• contribution to the development, implementation and validation of new sample preparation and mass spectrometry analysis methods primarily for MSI and secondly to proteomics/metabolomics LC-MS/MS workflows (single cell proteomics, glycoproteomics, phosphoproteomics)
• contributing to the development and maintenance of data analysis (ICT) infrastructure of AB and IMSC
• performing MSI and LC-MS analyses as well as supporting the reporting of the results
• contributing to the training of bachelor, master and PhD students as well as postdoctoral researchers in MS analysis
• maintaining MSI and LC-MS instruments and solving technical problems.
• contributing to the overall organization of the AB and IMSC laboratory infrastructure.
• a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the area of analytical chemistry or a related field
• demonstrable experience with the operation and maintenance of MSI and/or LC-MS equipment and with MSI and/or LC-MS method development
• experience (or willingness to learn) ICT infrastructure maintenance and development (software and hardware)
• good command of oral and written English
• independent, flexible, enterprising, organized, solution-oriented
• affinity with both instrumental techniques, data analysis software and tool scripting
• capable of working in an interdisciplinary, academical, and international environment.
The University of Groningen is an internationally oriented university with a rich academic tradition. Since the establishment in 1614, the university has brought forward striving academics, like the first female student, the first Dutch astronaut and various Nobel prize winners.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on level of education and experience a salary between € 2,471 and € 4,257 gross per month (scale 7, 8 of 9 according to the collective labour agreements of the Dutch Universities), for a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus over the gross yearly income
- an appointment for a period of one year, but upon proven suitability for the position, based on a positive assessment after one year, there are prospects of an employment contract for an indefinite period.
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 15 Januari 11:59pm / before 16 Januari 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. P.H. Horvatovich, +31 6 31921042, p.l.horvatovich rug.nl
- Dr H.P. Permentier, +31 6 31921047, h.p.permentier rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.