TT Assistant Professor with education profile in Artificial Intelligence 3.6 FTE (222549-52)
We are looking for academics who are interested in starting a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Artificial Intelligence. We offer four positions in different areas, and your field of education and research will predominantly lie in one of them:
- Reinforcement Learning
- Hybrid Intelligence
- Natural Language Processing
Within your area of expertise, you will contribute to the BSc and MSc degree programmes of Artificial Intelligence. The BSc Artificial Intelligence is a broad programme in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Cognitive Science, Robotics, Language, Logic, and Neurophysics, while the MSc Artificial Intelligence offers education in Machine Learning, Autonomous Systems, Robotics and Multi-Agent Systems. In total, we teach over 700 international students.
We offer competitive degree programmes that provide the highest quality education, that support and foster personal growth in our students, and that offer a supportive environment where collaboration is encouraged.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- develop and teach courses in Reinforcement Learning, Hybrid Intelligence, Natural Language Processing or Robotics in the degree programmes BSc Artificial Intelligence and MSc Artificial Intelligence; the exact topics of the courses will co-depend on the expertise and interests of the successful candidate
- supervise BSc and MSc students in their final year research projects
- contribute to innovating the BSc and MSc programmes and developing innovative teaching methods
- play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
- develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in one of the research groups in Artificial Intelligence
- contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
- a PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science or a related field, obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
- at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
- willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. The Bernoulli Institute has expertise in Cognitive Engineering, Visualization, Cognitive Modeling, Multi-agent systems and Machine Learning. These provide the local context for the position. In addition, there are strong collaborations with the UMCG. Furthermore, the Bernoulli Institute will participate in the new Jantina Tammes school for Digital society, technology and artificial intelligence.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure track position as Assistant Professor and:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen.
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider this link for more details on the criteria for promotion.
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
- a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
- a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
- a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 29 September 11:59pm / before 30 September 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place between 24 October and 4 November 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr Fokie Cnossen, f.cnossen rug.nl
- Prof. dr. Niels Taatgen, n.a.taatgen rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.