Tenure Track Assistant Professor Business Ethics and Sustainability (1.0 FTE) (222454)
Description of the post
The post offers exciting opportunities to researchers working in the field of business ethics and sustainability. You conduct independent research and aim to publish in high-ranked international journals recognized by the research school of the Faculty in the field of business ethics and sustainability, broadly construed. Moreover, you have good teaching skills and are interested in developing these further. You will contribute to the courses in the BSc and MSc programs offered by the Faculty on topics such as business ethics, corporate social responsibility, sustainability, climate change, and energy transition. Moreover, you may be involved in the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses.
We encourage you to apply if you meet the next qualifications:
- a PhD in a business ethics and sustainability-related field (including but not limited to ethics, philosophy, economics, business, law)
- a relevant research record in business ethics and sustainability, broadly construed, as reflected in peer-reviewed international publications
- teaching experience, preferably in topics such as business ethics, corporate social responsibility, sustainability, climate change, and energy transition
- a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or the willingness to obtain this qualification
- a social, positive and dedicated attitude
- organizational qualities and good communicative skills; and
- ambition to develop an international network of professional contacts.
The University of Groningen is an internationally oriented university with a rich heritage and an academic tradition dating back to 1614. The University is an academic community with a strong sense of belonging, and a culture of innovative education and research counting among its alumni the first female student in the Netherlands, the first Dutch astronaut, and various Nobel prize winners.
Geographically, the University is rooted in the northern part of The Netherlands. The University connects education and research with sustainable and economic processes within society, reflected in focus areas such as Energy, Healthy Ageing and Sustainable Society.
Faculty of Economics & Business
The Faculty of Economics & Business belongs to the 1 percent of business schools worldwide with both EQUIS and AACSB accreditations, and is implementing the Principles for Responsible Management Education. With more than 300 (assistant, associate, and full) professors, 4,800 bachelors students, and 2,300 masters students, the Faculty offers a broad range of programmes in a wide variety of fields such as economics, econometrics, finance, operations management, human resource management, accountancy, marketing, innovation management, and strategy.
The Faculty was among the very first globally to establish a Chair in Financial Ethics, in 2011, to stimulate business ethics research on such topics as ethics management in banking, corporate culture, the ethics of sustainable and climate finance, justice and finance, codes of ethics, and the ethics of risk management. The vision underlying the Chair is that the global challenges that society faces today require a multidisciplinary/interdisciplinary approach drawing from a large variety of disciplines that contribute to business ethics, including but not limited to philosophy, ethics, legal scholarship, political science, economics, business scholarship, and psychology. The Chair collaborates with individual researchers in Groningen and abroad (including earlier projects with Cambridge University, Sheffield University, the City University of New York, University of Gothenburg), as well as within projects in the Centre for Philosophy, Politics & Economics, the Groningen Centre for European Financial Services Law, the Groningen Centre of Energy Law and Sustainability, and the Centre for International Banking, Insurance, and Finance.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,974 to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (salary scale 11)
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- paid holiday leave of 29 days for a full time position
- a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
You may apply for this position until 4 September 11:59pm / before 5 September 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
You are requested to submit:
1. a motivation letter;
2. a complete and recent curriculum vitae;
3. at least two letters of recommendation (to be sent by email to Mrs. Ellie Jelsema: e.t.jelsema rug.nl);
4. one self-selected “best paper”; and
5. teaching evaluations.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Acquisition is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Boudewijn de Bruin, + 31 50 3633686, b.p.de.bruin rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.