Application manager (0.8-1.0 FTE) (222413E)
Who are you?
You are an enthusiastic application manager who is customer and goal-oriented, precise and technically capable. You empathise with the customer, understand the functionality of an application and see it as your duty to provide an optimal user experience. It is second nature to you to work with technical managers and suppliers to ensure that all applications run faultlessly. You have knowledge of application architecture and good techniques for connecting applications, and you are happy to share these insights with those around you.
What are you going to do?
You will be an essential link within the teams that manage and develop our applications.
Your job within the teams will be to:
- facilitate and manage access to systems and links between systems
- test and bring releases into production (regression and acceptance tests)
- analyse incidents and develop bug reports and proposals for changes for the suppliers and partners
- monitor the progress of issues (internal, UG CIT and suppliers)
- maintain internal and external contacts In Dutch and English
- participate in innovation projects.
What can you offer?
- an intellectual and professional level at least equivalent to that of a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO) graduate
- several years of relevant work experience
- experience in system integration (APIs, web services (SOAP/REST))
- experience in scripting (e.g. PHP, Python, Perl)
- theoretical and practical knowledge of authentication and authorization (SAML, Shibboleth and LDAP)
- profound knowledge of web applications, web servers, databases and SQL
- communication skills in Dutch and English
- a customer and goal-oriented attitude to work
- experience in working under architecture is an advantage
- knowledge and understanding of the ASL and/or BISL frameworks is an advantage
- experience in academic information provision is an advantage.
The University of Groningen (UG) ranks among the best research universities in Europe and has an international focus. The UG is socially active and committed to its surroundings. Our staff put their academic passion to good use, researching and teaching in a wide range of fields. Everyone has the opportunity to develop their talents to the full. The talents, ambitions and achievements of the 36,000 students and 7,500 members of staff are rewarded wherever possible.
To find out more about the UG, go to: www.rug.nl/about-us.
The University Library
The University Library (UB) Groningen is the UG’s main information hub. As a centre of expertise and service provision, the UB is innovative, professional and customer-oriented. It maximizes IT to increase the availability of information, to promote research being conducted at the UG and to ensure that academic work and knowledge is accessible to future generations. By providing facilities designed to meet the needs of its students, the UB is helping to increase overall pass rates.
The UB is responsible for the maintenance and management of a number of applications that are broadly used within the university, such as Pure (for research output), Hora Finita (for supervising PhD students), EZProxy (for access to academic articles) and repositories. We also manage our own applications, such as WMS (for loaning, adding metadata, purchasing) and the UB app. Some of these systems belong to suppliers, others were developed in-house. There are many interfaces with other systems, such as HR and publishers.
The Development and Innovation (O&I) department is at the heart of innovation within the UB, and carries out work on new digital services. Consultants, project leaders, managers and developers work within the O&I department. The department’s innovative products and services are used every day by thousands of customers from within and outside the UG.
We are currently looking for an application manager to join our management team. The successful applicant must have affinity with chain integration, demonstrable skills in testing, problem analysis and release management and experience in managing database applications.
Conditions of employment
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities, we can offer the following terms of employment:
- a salary based on qualifications and experience up to a maximum of € 4,257 (salary scale 9) gross per month for a full-time position (UFO profile ICT Manager 3)
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus over the annual gross income
- a contract for a period of one year. After the agreed end date - depending on the outcome of the Result & Development interview and other (internal) circumstances - this employment may be converted into an employment contract for an indefinite period.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 29 September 11:59pm / before 30 September 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Marijke Folgering, Head of the Development & Innovation Department, m.e.folgering rug.nl
- Ryanka Hazekamp (general information about the application procedure), HR Advisor, r.hazekamp rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.