TT Assistant Professor with education profile Sustainable Drug Development (222333)
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of sustainable drug development. The discipline of sustainable drug development aims to train students in drug development based on Green Chemistry principles. This is needed because ageing of the population brings about increased drug use, which stresses the eco-system and may adversely impact our long-term health, e.g. due to resistance to antibiotics. The candidate will incorporate Green Chemistry elements into relevant Bachelor and Master courses, enabling pharmacy students to gain knowledge not only about conventional chemical reactions, drug design and production, but also on how to modify these to reduce their eco-toxicity and enhance sustainability. The candidate’s research may support current research lines in the area of Green Chemistry within the research group Chemical and Pharmaceutical Biology (GRIP) and may lead to an independent research line focusing on, for instance, computational chemistry and engineering, artificial intelligence in drug discovery or engineering, or green and sustainable pharmaceutical production.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
● teach in the Bachelor and Master degree programmes of Pharmacy, and the research master Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences (future track Sustainable drug discovery)
● play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
● contribute to research lines in the research group Chemical and Pharmaceutical Biology of the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP), or develop your own research in line with the strategy of the research group
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in chemistry, pharmacy, chemical biology or a related field
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
● demonstrable organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy. Education and Research at the GRIP is multidisciplinary. It bridges clinical, health economy and biomedical sciences on the one side and chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics (statistics) on the other side. The interaction between the pharmaceutical sciences with these fundamental and clinical sciences offers excellent opportunities for innovative education and cutting-edge research.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,821 up to a maximum of € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11), depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
● a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 21 August 11:59pm / before 22 August 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place from the 29th of August 2022 onward.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Gerrit J. Poelarends, +31 50 3638174 (secretary), g.j.poelarends rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.