Assistant Professor in European Cultural and Literary Studies (1.0 FTE) (221654)
The position combines research and teaching in the field of European Cultural and Literary Studies, with particular emphasis on French and Francophone culture. Native or near-native language proficiency in French and English is a binding requirement. Knowledge of Dutch and any of the other Languages taught in the programme would further enhance the candidates match for the teaching and research tasks in our multi-language programme. The research to be conducted will be of an interdisciplinary nature, ideally combining contemporary cultural, literary, political and social topics in French, Dutch and European contexts, and is expected to be compatible with the team-research approach in the chair group European Culture and Literature. The candidate will teach within the interdisciplinary BA programme European Languages and Cultures, which comprises research-led teaching from the fields of Cultural Studies, Political Science and Linguistics, as well as the MA track European Literatures and Interculturality. Teaching tasks will include, amongst others, courses in French and European Culture, Empirical Cultural Studies, and on Forms of Cultural Exclusion and Discrimination. The candidate will also be expected to take over tasks in the academic self-administration (committees, boards). Early career researchers who fulfil the requirements are explicitly encouraged to apply.
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills, presentation skills, coaching skills and a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for candidates with:
- a PhD in the field of contemporary European Cultural and Literary Studies, with a special focus on culture and politics in France within a European context or closely related areas
- language proficiency in French and English at C1 level, proficiency in Dutch or any other of the languages in the programme would be desirable
- relevant interdisciplinary research experience regarding cultural, literary, political and social topics in Francophone and European contexts
- relevant teaching experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Candidates are expected to: have gained the University Teaching Qualification (in Dutch: BKO) or are prepared to do so within two years
- excellent social and communicative skills and the ability to work in groups.
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
Faculty and department
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both an excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of the Netherlands. We build and share knowledge benefits to society. We work at a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5000 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, articulate and independent academics. We are a team of hardworking and diverse groups of 700 staff members.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,807 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,992 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
- a 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
- a favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
The position entails a contract combining 60% teaching tasks with 40% research-time.
The faculty will facilitate you with obtaining the requested qualifications for teaching and the Dutch language within two years.
The appointment will initially be on a temporary basis for 18 months with the possibility of becoming a permanent position following a positive ‘Results and Development’ assessment.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/
Starting date: 1 February 2022 or as soon as possible
You may apply for this position until 15 December 11:59pm / before 16 December 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on the advertisement on the University website).
You can fill in the form and upload the following PDF files (all in English):
1. a letter of motivation
2. a CV with a list of three self-selected “best papers”; the complete list of publications and the names and contact details of three referees
3. a brief description of scientific interests and plans; a statement about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total). You can upload this under ”extra document” on the website
4. an appropriate writing sample. You can upload this under ”extra document” on the website.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
The first round of interviews is scheduled for week 3 in 2022.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr K. Mierau, k.mierau rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.