Full Professor in Microbial Biotechnology (1.0 FTE) (221619)
We are looking for a Full Professor who will develop an exciting world-leading research line in any subfield of Microbial Molecular Biology, and who will lead fundamental research into biotechnological applications. The candidate is encouraged to use creative experimental concepts to understand, master and engineer for instance genetic circuits and/or biosynthetic pathways. We envisage that your research will provide fundamental understanding of the molecular processes of microbial life and will lead to the use of (engineered) microorganisms for biotechnological or biomedical purposes. As full professor you will become head of the GBB research group Molecular Genetics and bring in expertise that complements current research at GBB (e.g. Arnold Driessen, Matthias Heinemann, Marco Fraaije, Ida van der Klei, Sahar El Aidy, Danny Incarnato), the Engineering and Technology Institute Groningen (e.g. Marc van der Maarel, Gert-Jan Euverink) and the Groningen Research Institute for Pharmacy (e.g. Gerrit Poelarends).
As Full Professor you will:
• establish a viable and internationally leading research line and research group
• supervise PhD students
• acquire external funding
• promote the societal relevance of your research
• teach in and contribute to the development of the BSc and MSc degree programs in biology, life sciences and technology and chemistry
• contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management
• spend 40% of your time for research, 40% for teaching activities and 20% for organizational and managerial tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree in a relevant subject area
• a relevant international and/or industrial network
• excellent research qualities that demonstrate originality in addressing important fundamental questions in the area of microbial genetics or microbial molecular biology, with an outstanding publication record in influential peer-reviewed journals
• confirmed experience in bringing fundamental discoveries to successful application
• a very good track record in university teaching
• independently and successfully supervised more than five PhD students
• received meaningful research grants from external sources
• confirmed organizational competences
• the ability to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
• excellent command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
• a visible professional in your field, recognized by stakeholders
• an inspiring leader who stimulates his or her group members to get the best out of themselves
• a team player with good communication skills
• willing to acquire a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
• able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, rooted in Groningen, City of Talent (http://www.rug.nl/about-us/who-are-we/discover-groningen/). Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success; the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and excellent research in a wide range of subject areas, from classical ones such as mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, computer science, pharmacy and material science. Our principal investigators interact openly and informally with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB), one of the larger institutes of the FSE. The GBB provides an excellent environment for ground-breaking research and comprises thirteen creative research units with outstanding roots in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, molecular and cell biology, computational and system biology, genetics, and microbiology are organized in two focal areas: ‘Molecular Mechanisms of Biological Processes’ and ‘Physiology and Systems Biology’.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a full-time position as Full Professor with a salary from € 5,843 up to a maximum of € 8,508 (scale H2) gross per month (based on 1.0 FTE) depending of relevant experience and training
• a holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your gross yearly salary
• a pension scheme
• support for maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
• a broad range of opportunities for personal development
• dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
You will be appointed in a tenured position.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
We invite you to submit a complete application (as individual PDF files) including:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae, including an overview of successfully supervised PhD students and their current positions, your publications and a list with names of references
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’ with a brief motivation of their importance
• a concise description of your scientific interest and research plans, and associated ideas for routes to successful application (max. 3 pp.)
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience (max. 1 pp).
You can submit your application until 9 January 11:59pm / before 10 January 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in February 2022.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Dirk Slotboom, Scientific Director GBB and executive chair for this position, +31 50 3634187, d.j.slotboom rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.