TT Assistant Professor (education profile) in Individualized pharmacotherapy (221198)
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of polymer-based composites. We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested in embarking upon an academic career in a tenure-track assistant professorship with a strong focus on education. The successful candidate will strengthen our teaching and research specifically in the field of Patient-focused Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD). Nowadays, pharmacists closely collaborate with general practitioners and are co-responsible for a patient’s treatment. In addition to basic skills in patient communication, meeting the patient’s expectation regarding therapeutic outcomes requires careful consideration and understanding of the individual Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) profile of that patient. This position will predominantly focus on strengthening PK/PD aspects in various courses in the Bachelor and Master Pharmacy, as well as the Master programme, Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences (MPS). The candidate's research should align with current research lines, specifically in the area of Individual Patient Perspectives in Pharmacy with an emphasis on PK/PD drug aspects.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile, you will:
● teach in the degree programmes of Pharmacy (both BSc and MSc) and the MSc programme Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences (MPS)
● play a significant role in the development of education at the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy, both at the course and the programme level
● develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the Pharmaceutical Analysis research group
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time will be devoted to teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start an academic career path that focuses on education, with the prospect of becoming an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in the pharmaceutical sciences or a related field, obtained at most 5 years ago
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
● demonstrable organizational competences
● excellent command of spoken and written English
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it at a level which is adequate for functioning in a professional Dutch-speaking environment within five years (level B1).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP). Although GRIP is positioned within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), it is physically located within the University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) of the Faculty of Medical Sciences (FMS) - hence, in ideal proximity to benefit from collaborations between the two faculties. Together with Medical Sciences, GRIP participates in the joint UMCG-FSE Research Institute GUIDE (Groningen University Institute for Drug Exploration). Pharmaceutical research within GRIP is highly multidisciplinary. It bridges the clinical and biomedical sciences on the one side and chemistry, mathematics (statistics) and physics on the other side. The interaction between the pharmaceutical sciences with these fundamental and clinical sciences offers excellent opportunities for cutting-edge research.
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,746 up to a maximum of € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time position
● a starting package of € 40k to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-education-profile/assistant-professor-with-an-education-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans
You can submit your application until 16 May 11:59pm / before 17 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the first two weeks of June 2021 (1/6 - 10/6).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof Dr E.M.J. (Sabeth) Verpoorte, e.m.j.verpoorte rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.